1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Idling problem

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by carbonxe, Jan 14, 2011.

1. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

It might just be getting too hot on you while you're trying to sync. Once it starts to get too hot, it WILL "race."

Set up a couple of those window-type "box" fans to blow air across the motor; be sure it's warmed up when you start. As soon as it starts to act "independently" shut it down and let it cool for a few minutes before continuing.

Once you DO get a good sync, you may find that you do need to turn the "master knob" down a bit once the bike is warmed up fully. That's OK; as long as it then keeps returning to idle after that.

Mixtures at 2 1/2 turns out to start, right?

2. moellear

moellear Member

that's true. mid 90's this afternoon in mid-west Ohio. tomorrow won't be much better from the weather forecast

yep. screws set out 2.5 but since one of the plugs was clean white I turned it out to 3.0 for a starting point to do running vac-sync. thanks

3. moellear

moellear Member

okay, got running vac-sync outta the way. great equal balance across all four so then I checked the plug color for ColorTuning. 3 outta 4 either needed richness/lean adjustments. did so without any problems either turning out or in less than a half turn. jumped on with my helmet for a cruise. came back 5 miles later with great acceleration and hardly any bogginess/hesitation from the carbs

haven't checked plug colors yet but when I returned to the garage the idle eventually lowered to 1100 or so rpms. it took some time and even after a few blips with the throttle it took awhile to slowly fall. left if sit there running and within 5 minutes later the idle started increasing again slowly up to 3k like it was racing. fed up with it and shut it off even after turning the idle adjustment screw out. grant it, the temperature is still hot this evening but nobody should have this kind of situation no matter where the location is. i just don't understand how the idle can creep like that...

4. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

AIR!

The Engine is getting AIR from some place.
    Do the Starting Fluid or Propane Gas Trick.

See it you can find where there is a leak introducing AIR into the System.

Candidates Include:
    Manifold -to- Head Seats.
    (The O-rings Leak -- Dangerous to fix. Seal the Edges.)
    Manifolds
    (Loose clamps, Sliced-thru rubber at clamp, Splits.)
    Throttle Shaft Seals:
    (Drip some Engine Oil on the Hinges. Listen.)
    Tight Cable