1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

ignition switch housing shorts

Discussion in 'For Sale, Trade/Swap, Wanted' started by ldrider82, Sep 9, 2012.

1. ldrider82

ldrider82 New Member

I had to replace my ignition switch. Everything seems to work fine until I mount the housing to the frame. It shorts out when I turn the key. I don't get it. Any ideas out there? No punched wires as it works until I touch it to the frame.

2. ldrider82

ldrider82 New Member

That's no PINCHED wires...

3. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

Is it possible you have the wrong switch? The switch mounts to a metal bracket that has to mount to the frame. If its shorting out it has be bad or the wrong one. General rule of thumb on aftermarket parts (even if new) don't trust them untill you verify it is the correct part and that it works the way it is supposed to.

MN

4. ldrider82

ldrider82 New Member

It is aftermarket. Here is the rest of the story. The after market switch mounts exactly the same way as stock. After mounting it I took it for a good 200 mile ride. The only problem is the after market one mounts more vertically making difficult to operate the key. So I pulled the replacement apart and used the stock mount. The only difference is the mounting angle. But now it wants to short. Should have been a simple swap. Dang it....

5. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

You will have to take it apart and see what could be out of place to short like that. Might not hurt to take an ohm meter and see which wire is grounded.Then you can follow it through and see where the problem is.