1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

ignition switch question

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by vanndrage, Sep 24, 2011.

1. vanndrage

vanndrage New Member

can someone tell (or show) me where the ignition switch cable plugs into? might sound like a dumb question but the PO had the ignition switch removed so i did not initially get to see where it went. i have looked in the service manual. i have the gas tank off, though it would plug in under there somewhere but all the harnesses i see are already plugged in to something and they dont seem to even be the same size.

2. Metal_Bob

Metal_Bob Active Member

If po removed / replaced the original switch, the original plug might be gone.

Others might know where it should be...

3. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

The leads from the ignition switch go into the headlight and hook up in there.

MN

4. Dannymax

Dannymax Member

Look for red, brown and blue wires in the same shrink wrap, the ignition switch connector goes on the end of them.
    Red-hot
    Brown-switched power
    Blue-running lights

5. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Probably inside the headlight shell like most XJs but it would help if you told us what bike you have.

6. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

All of the xj's that I have, and have had to go into the shell for various wires have been done the same way---- I spent countless minutes taping and numbering every connection before dis-assembly only to find that each connector has a different shape and/or color combination. So now I just disconnect away and then find the matching plugs and have at it. It's a whole lot quicker now, but that may also be from a lot more experience now, too.

That all being said, follow the wire lead into the bucket, find the connector, tape and label it so you can find it easily, take it apart and do your work.

Dave

7. vanndrage

vanndrage New Member

sorry, i forgot to mention the bike. xj750. it was located inside the headlight shell. thanks for the replies.