1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

I'm gunna throw my bike in the trash i think.... next glitch

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by KrS14, Apr 21, 2010.

1. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

So i'm riding home from Dezi's yesterday, and i find my bike can hardly keep 90km/h, no matter the throttle given.

Thought it may have been from an airbox to carb boot that had slid off a touch, fixed that up today, same thing, 2.5 turns out, 5 turns out doesn't affect it (5 turns out i can blow black smoke out from idle at a stop sign)

I've left it for today with this final ride observation: If i'm doing say 70km/h in 5th and i throw it WOT it will try to accelerate till i hit about 5k rpm then it loses power intermittently (surging). BUT if i roll off the throttle it'll pick up power right before it equalizes with the speed i'm going.

I've been struggling with these carbs since i bought the bike. I'm starting to think maybe i should just just scrap the main, pilot, emulsion tube, and needle for all new CORRECTLY NUMBERED parts for the 400.

#40 pilots with #120 mains. the needle isn't what it's supposed to be according to the service manual, but that doesn't mean it's not a diff part that Yamaha Canada was using at the time.

No number on the emulsion tube.

What really confuses me is it was ok 2 days ago. New gas hasn't helped (thought maybe i got a bad tank)

EDIT: I forgot to mention that i am a touch low on oil, but i can't see how that would affect it, i'm a little over due for my oil change from last fall.

Thoughts?

2. skeeter

skeeter Member

symptoms are like it's running lean. something must've changed in the last couple days.

maybe gas tank not venting or a plug in the fuel delivery somewhere? are you running a fuel filter? maybe it is partially clogged?

3. Maxim-X

Maxim-X Well-Known Member

Take a look at the plugs, if they're white you're def running lean. Gotta fix that before you get some serious mechanical issues.

4. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

Plugs are ok, i've checked them like 5 times the last couple days. I thought it was rich, that's why i tried 2.5 turns, no difference.

I may pull my carbs and make sure a main jet didn't somehow work it's way off.

5. Dezmond

Dezmond New Member

Re: I'm gunna throw my bike in the trash i think.... next gl

Maybe you should get a complete rebuild kit for your carbs and new jets and all. Do a complete overhaul with the right #'d jets etc. Then you know it's where it should be.

6. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

Only problem with that is i don't have the extra dough right now :( Stupid job market...

7. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

make sure when the choke is off it's really off and then some

8. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

Yep, did check that Polock.

Service manual says i should have:
    Main jets:
    127.5 Left side
    117.5 Right side

4Hz 20 Jet needle
    Y-0 Needle jet
    #35 pilot jets

I can't remember for sure what's in mine, and i'm pretty sure i can't source these for a dealer. Maybe Len can get em, i'll PM him. I'll check tomorrow what i gave in my carbs right now as well while i'm looking for something that may be off.

9. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

I'mma check my compression tomorrow as well, just to see what it tells me. Hope my rings aren't going...

10. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

Do you have a fuel filter? Mine was trapping air and if I "bled" the air out, I would see a noticeable bump in performance until it started collecting air again.

Your description sounds like fuel starved, and specifically a fuel flow rate problem (i.e. enough fuel flow if you open throttle slowly, but not enough if you jerk it open...and not enough higher speeds)

11. Maxim-X

What job market, I don't know about any job market in South Western Ontario? Unless you mean those blood sucking contract companies that pay you 10 bucks an hour to do 20 dollar an hour jobs!
    I hear what you're saying though, I worked at Sterling in St. Thomas for 17 yrs. and then the company decided to close and move to Mexico!
    Sometimes there is just too much month left at the end of the money!!!!

12. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

No filter bot,

hopefully Len can help me out with some jets etc. I'm just so sick of these carbs. I've read SOOO many threads on here, about carb issues, i know what to look for, and it just seems like i can't get my carbs to do what they're supposed to with the parts that are in them.

I hear ya X, hell i couldn't even get hired at crappy tire if i tried prolly.

13. Maxim-X

Hey KrS14
    It's a ways off but might be what you need:

The 2010 South Western Ontario Carb Clinic will be held on Saturday May 29th. at
    527 Talltree Cres.
    London, Ont.
    Co-Hosts Dennis, Jo, Kevin and Greg
    Please respond to: mayberry at rogers.com with numbers attending.

Wadaya think?

14. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

Ya Altus PM'd me already, i'm going to try to make it if i can. If i can get there lol hopefully the wind is from the east that day lol

15. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

Hmm i've been reading alot about (rubber) plugs over the pilot jets on the BS34's.

Haven't really found any explanation as to why they were there. Do you guys normally have them, my carbs never did.

16. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

I found some info, i guess the older BS34 had a direct passage to the main emulsion tube where it fed the pilot jet. But that was later not used and the pilot was direct fed from the fuel level. I'll have to check and see what i have as i can't remember if there's a passage from emulsion to pilot or not.

17. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

OK, so i just got done rippin the carbs out and found two things:

1.) i'm a fricken PRO at rippin these 2 carbs out lol
    2.) The main jets were backwards, i've always done one at a time so i'm pretty sure i didn't get em backwards. I just noticed it cause i was checking sizes against the manual.

So here is what's in it against the service manual:

Service manual --- What is in bike (Main jets switched to proper carb)
    LH main jet 127.5 --- 127.5
    RH main jet 117.5 --- 120
    Pilot #35 --- #45 (same in both)
    L & RH Jet needle 4Hz 20 -- 4Hz 21
    L & RH needle jet Y-0 --- Y-0
    Ait jets doesn't mention in manual -- both are #170

Carbs were CLEAN!

Would the huge difference in pilots cause any weird issues, idles fine.

Hopefully the main jet swap will fix the issues i've had since buying it. It wouldn't surprise me, as it makes sense with any issues i've had since buying it.

18. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

Re: I'm gunna throw my bike in the trash i think.... next gl

if you can't get this sorted out try looking over here kawasakis's use BS series carbs too and try googleing "wired george carbs" maybe there's something there for ya

19. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

Let my last 2 years be an example to all you guys that have just bought old-new bikes. NEVER TRUST WHAT THE PO HAD DONE OR TELLS YOU.

If you're having issues with a bike you just bought, go through it, meticulously!! Don't assume anything.

The last time my bike was touched with my PO was at Sonic cycle salvage in London. For a carb clean... take that how you want, but i'm glad i do my own work now hahah.

Ruby runs like she never has before, went out for 30 minutes, some in town, some 8K+ rpm 1->2->3 gear runs. Runs like a clock, and my high rpm surging is gone too!!

Makes sense since one side was running rich and one side was running lean at WOT.

I'm just glad i found this, albeit after 2 years :/

20. Maxim-X

Hmmmmmm, with what you said in your last post and what I saw on Kajiji this week, makes me wonder about Sonic here in London:

http://london.kijiji.ca/c-jobs-other-WA ... Z199238296

Looking for a qualified person with extensive knowledge the motorcycle electrical system, to rewire a motorbike.

Motorbike is a 1982 Yamaha XJ1100. Spark plugs are not firing, and need a to know what the problem is.

Brought it over to Sonic Cycle Salvage in London, spoke with the owner and the electrician there, must say, very unprofessional, drove from Aylmer, with a rented trailer, just to find out that the electrician did not want to work on it, because of the "apparent" state the bike was in.

I don't think the motorbike got the attention it deserved, he didn't even look at it up close, saw a few wires hanging loose and decided "it wasn't worth his time"

For anyone interested, or know somebody interested, give me a shout. I can email some photos.

- spark plugs not firing, not sure if it's the coils or the CDI