1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

in a bit of a dilema but a good one

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by 85MaximXX, Jul 14, 2008.

1. 85MaximXX

85MaximXX Member

Hey all well since a little while ago when my tank badges got stolen off my maxim X I decided I could not stand the chipped paint on the tank caused from the abrupt removal of the badges. So the tins are off and at the shop I thought I had the color I wanted in mind but then my eye started to wander. So does anyone know of a web sight to check out color chips before I go look at the hundreds if not thousands they have at the shop? Has anyone else repainted thier xj if so any pics just so I can see what type of color I think I like or to stay away from on these bikes?

thx,

Ken

2. wizard

wizard Active Member

this is bright copper red metalic .honda.

3. Deathmetaldan

Deathmetaldan Member

i have been digging bright blue on these bikes with a little bit of white or black thrown in

4. KAOS

KAOS Member

Flat Black all the way.. :twisted: Or maybe a black n red scheme..

KAOS

5. danno

danno Member

Click on my gallery tab to see how '99 Dodge Viper blue looks on a 650 Maxim.

6. 85MaximXX

85MaximXX Member

danno that is close to the color I had picked out before I started seeing other colors I thought I would like. a bright pearl blue was the color of choice then I have seen a really nice burnt orange metallic.

Wizard that is a nice color as well but very close to a friends bike I ride with alot I got to be different ya know.

7. danno

danno Member

85MaximXX,if you get a chance,go to a Chevy dealer and ask them if they have a car in Lazer (or is that Laser?) Blue. It is dark bluish purple,and it was my first color choice. But the guy that painted my bike had this paint left over,so it saved me quite a bit of cash.I really like the burnt orange shades,too.Rather than looking at paint chip charts,you may want to check out some new car lots. That way you can see how the color appears in "real life".If you find a color you like,look on the window sticker,the name of the color will be listed on it.

8. 85MaximXX

85MaximXX Member

Thats not a bad idea danno but then again they are all common place colors now. I just can't seem to find a good site to at least get ideas in my head the more I think about the blue I like it but seems alot of these xj's have been painted a brighter blue. I just want something that people will say Wow thats different but nice at the same time. A total custom paint as I am paying for it anyway I might as well go off the deep end.

9. switch263

switch263 Member

well part of the problem with looking online is that nearly every monitor displays things slightly differently, so you probably wont get the 'real world' appearance most likely. On the other hand, if you're looking at various paint colors ON something, be it a bike, car, lawnmower, whatever, with other colors around it for reference, you can get a very good idea of how it actually looks.

Point being, I agree with the 'go out and look at em' statements, you'll be happier in the long run I think.

Just my two cents.

10. rpgoerlich

rpgoerlich Member

Duplicolor rattle can Ocean Blue Metal Flake and SprayMaxx rattle can Clear Coat with hardner.

Fender

Bike

11. cole9900

cole9900 Member

If you have the time, stop by your local automotive paint store and ask to see some of their color books. They have thousands of samples you can look at and my store has even let me take a book home to do some color matching. I go for the fleet colors which have fancy paint names like blue-red poly #xxxx.

12. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Don't look on line.
    Look in the real world!

When you see a color you fancy on some car or truck in the new car lots of America ... go look at the sticker and get the Name and Paint Code.

Simple as that.

Back when I painted my 900 ... I fell in LOVE with a nice deep metallic purple that was special on the BMW M-5 Series. It's called "TechnoViolet"

I got some of that paint from BMW and had it blown-on my parts. Added a little bit of gold pin-striping and I love it.

13. 85MaximXX

85MaximXX Member

this is the color that originally caught my eye,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AUTO-PAI ... enameZWD1V

rpgoerlich, all the parts are at my buddy's shop already he is doing all the prep and primer His dad has owned a collision shop for 20 Plus years so he gerw up in the biz I am getting a decent deal for sure. I did rattle can it the same weekend the incident happened I sanded everything down very good and painted it I kept getting one spot on the tank that just won't stick properly so I decided to let the pro's at it.

14. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

just the color is about 30$ a quart
    guess what color my truck is ?

15. 85MaximXX

85MaximXX Member

My friend is doing it for $100 labor materials everything any color I want he will mix. He is doing all the sanding prep everything. I just need to figure out what I kind of like then he will show me some paint samples but I don't want to make him go through thousands of them if I have kind of an idea of what I like and find a sample close he can and will custom mix it to get what I like.

16. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Add a little bit of Pearl ...
    a little bit of metallic ...

and you can make Beige look good!

17. 85MaximXX

85MaximXX Member

LOL rick nope not even close to any beige for me brings back chips flashbacks Or were there bike almond?? either way no tanish colors gonna be happening on this baby he-he.

18. flash1259

flash1259 Member

House of Kolors are great paints.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/kustomshop/ksflake.aspx

http://www.tcpglobal.com/kustomshop/kspearl.aspx

http://www.tcpglobal.com/kustomshop/ksumb.aspx

here is just a few go to this page and drool at the list omn the left side of the screen

http://www.tcpglobal.com/kustomshop/

19. SyracuseXJ

SyracuseXJ Member

I've been thinking of painting my bike GoManGo. It's a mopar color but I won't hold that against it. I was thinking of that as a teardrop on the side of a silver tank or just solid since there's not much tin anyway. Would you paint yours that color so I can get an idea of what mine might look like?
    :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

20. SyracuseXJ

SyracuseXJ Member

Go Mango!!!!!
    [​IMG]

Oh yeah! :twisted: