1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Input shaft - Axial movement?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Shroom, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Shroom

Shroom New Member

It seems I have some axial movement in my input shaft. Causing the clutch pressure plate and bolts to rub on the crankcase cover.
    Has anyone come across this problem before?

I had done approx 100km on this bike since purchase before I lost operation of the clutch followed by a rattling sound coming from the clutch side cover.

I have removed the clutch side engine cover and found a weld repair to the inside face. Correct number of plates fitted and clutch nut appears tight, lock washer is in place.

I could feel no play in the shaft by hand but was able to tap on the clutch nut and drive the shaft in by approx 4mm before it sounded 'snug'

Going by the manual it looks as though the bearing half ring shoud secure the shaft in place?

I can't believe that this would fail and there is no evidence that the cases have been split.

Am I over looking something here? Or do I have to remove/split the engine? image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

2. Bushy

Bushy Active Member

Have you taken the clutch plates out and checked the nut that holds the basket onto the shaft # 18 in this
    http://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-xj750rh-seca-1981_model8823/partslist/C-04.html#results
    when I checked my clutch plates I checked that nut and it was basically finger tight from the factory with the lock tab in properly in place and the basket had a slight wobble but no damage like in your pics.

Or.. has it been dropped and ridden with a dinged clutch cover b4 you got it but the outer part has been replaced .. the part the the 2 screws hold in your pic.

3. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

To my eye, it looks more like someone had been horsing around, broke the clutch lever input stuff in the cover, tried to aluminum-weld it back together.......then a piece of that eventually broke off, got caught by one of the bolt-heads, spun around and broke other little bits and pieces the cover, those pieces then got caught up in the clutch, causing the greater failure that you experienced. Basically, a snowball resulting from the original welding repair on the inside of the cover.

dave

4. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Someone used too many (or too thick?) discs and plates? And yes, then had to do some alum repair..........

5. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

In addition to possibly using the wrong disc plates would using the clutch without complete "throw out" cause this?

@ Shroom : There are location marks/detents that must be aligned correctly. I'd remove the plates to make certain all of that is good (including the torque spec for the bolts/springs).

Gary H.

6. Shroom

Shroom New Member

Thanks for all the replys. The engine has been split and as suspected the input shaft bearing half ring was missing.
    This has allowed the shaft to migrate out and damage the clutch cover.
    I have done close to 200kms on this bike with no dramas and the case shows no sign of being split recently. So who knows how long the retainer has been missing?
    On the bright side she'll get some new rings and a de coke before reassembly :)