1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

intake boots

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by ruiner, Apr 15, 2010.

1. ruiner

ruiner Member

i need new carb intake boots (if that's what they're called, from the carbs to the intake of the engine.) for my xj650j. they are cracked all the way through and i was wondering if anyone knows if they are interchangable with the 550 or other size xj?

2. yamaman

yamaman Member

if you have a YICS they are, non yics only 3 & 4 are. the part #'s are slightly different and a dealership won't know the difference. I can tell you, if you do talk to a dealership, the part #'s that are discontinued for non YICS are the 1 and 2. And if you do find them somewhere other than chacal they'll be out of stock or it'll be hard to get the info for which bike they're really for. Chacal has them and the explanation of the differences are in his parts page

3. ruiner

ruiner Member

yeah, i've been having trouble finding them, thanks for the info, i'll check it out.

4. Jotr

Jotr Member

Just bought 4x from Chacal for my '82 Seca XJ650 RJC YICS as per below.

HCP559SET4 Airbox-to-carb Boots
    $ 52.00

HCP565SET4 Airbox boot Clamps
    $ 39.00

5. junkmn

junkmn Member

I have a set from a 550 here and have compared them to the ones off my 650. The 550's are smaller.

6. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP Member

I read something about using some rubber components from home depot.

I bought some a while back. They're a perfect fit, but are VERY stiff and a real pain to take off and reinstall.

7. lanthren

lanthren Member

i believe he's talking about the boots between the carbs and the engine, i've found them locally at 65 a piece

8. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Lets try to get everybody talking Mororcycle Engines and Components so we all know what you mean.

The Rubber Boots between the Engine and Carbs are NOT BOOTS, ... they are:
    INTAKE MANIFOLDS

The Rubber Boots between the Airbox and Carbs are BOOTS. We call them BOOTS, ... although -- Technically -- They're JOINTS.

So, whenn you need to get across which Boots you need, ...
    If you also say Manifolds ... we know -- Carb ~ Head
    If you say Boots ... call 'em "Joint Boot" ... you end confusion.

That said.

Manifolds for XJ-Bikes are Interchangeable.

Be mindful:
    The 1 ~ 4 Manifolds are Angled Inboard and the 2 ~ 3 Manifolds are Straight.

(So are the Joints ... sort of. If you have trouble identifying which Joint goes to which Carb ...
    Measure them.
    Place the Airbox end on a flat surface and measure the distance to the Carb Horn end while r-o-t-a-t-i-n-g the Joint.

The ones with the HIGHEST Edges while turning them ... 1, 4
    The ones that ate relatively even .... 2, 3

9. 1982xj650seca

1982xj650seca Member

Also, I don't know how badly your manifolds are cracked. But there have been some attempts to repair them. (especially if you're biding time for your "assets" to fall into place)

Liquid Gasket Maker is $5 a tube at any hardware store. Just rub and massage that into the cracks on your manifold. Let it dry, and then use steel wool to get rid of all the excess. Repeat process if necessary.

Its worked great for me so far. And as a college kid, that kind of super budgeting stuff ($5 vs $50+) is really important to me. But obviously new stuff is always better. Just my 2 cents.

10. eparker_s

eparker_s New Member

my 2 cents, REPAIR by any means necessary. replace at your own peril! I have as Rick called it in another post "fallen down the rabbit hole" aka i snapped the intake manifold screws off in the head requiring A) lots of time and work to remove the head B) money for replacement parts C) down time when i could be riding... those suckers are in there, GOOD
    also you are looking at 50+ bucks apiece for intake manifolds, a set is 220 bucks from len / chacal