1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Is It Just Me? (Warning: A Rant About New Bikes)

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by burton160w, Jun 25, 2012.

1. burton160w

burton160w New Member

Just went to the bike shop today to get a new bulb for the headlamp ($92!)... XJ saved me realizing that oh yea the standard 7" is all I need ($8.72).

I took a look at some of the bikes there. Now when I first was a young lad wanting a motorcycle, a crotch rocket was the only thing I wanted, I shunned everything else. The XJ650 was bought on a whim, and I want nothing else but it. It cracks me up because it's such a comfortable bike - but it's quick, nimble, and slim to boot! I WAS NOT impressed by the other bikes there. There's a lot of cheap plastic (I'm looking at you Honda Rebel and Shadow), or the sport bikes have just too much going on! That's why I got into earlier bikes - it doesn't have all the frills and extra crap that only bog the bike down. Don't get me wrong, I'd take a CB1000RR any day :twisted: but my XJ makes me :D much more then most of those bikes there (plus they're expensive!).

2. BluesBass

BluesBass Member

I gotta agree with you on only wanting an XJ. I mean, yeah you can get bikes with aspects of the XJ in them (get-up-and-go, comfort, agility) but few come with the great online support base and friendly parts guy (that's you, Chacal!).

Will I own other bikes? Yes. Will I ever trade or sell my XJ? Hell no!

3. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

In my opinion, ... Yamaha and Honda caved-in.

You basically have 3 types of bike too buy,... these days.

1.) Plastic-wrapped Bullet.
    2.) Dual-purpose.
    3.) Jap-an-ized Harley look-like.

Build a fast 4-Banger, DOHC, 5 or 6 Speed, FUEL INJECTED, Shaftie, ... that is a Head to Toe QUALITY BUILD leaving the Factory ... for 12 -to- 15 Grand and you'll sell enough of them to make money.

4. burton160w

burton160w New Member

THIS.

It's actually how I also view what Honda did to the Civic and Accord. Despite the perception and what a lot of kids like to do to them, the 80s and 90s Civics were these tiny practical cars that had a leg up on the competition because they were making something nobody else could figure out. Now Honda makes a Civic that looks and feels ten years outdated.

5. gunnabuild1

gunnabuild1 Member

Have you noticed that if you want to carry a pillion there is no realistic option EXCEPT a great big tourer?

6. adrian1

adrian1 Active Member

LOL you ain't gonna get an unbiased opinion around here Mr Burton!

HOWEVER! The Suzuki Bandit is one helluva bike for not much money...

Triumph also make a couple of great bikes!

7. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

I've often felt the same way when making my way through the sea of new machines on my way to buy some chain lube or a replacement lens for a helmet.

Adrian correctly points out that there are some affordable options out there for someone who doesn't think they should spend as much on a bike as a car. The Bandit is a fantastic bike for the money as is the famed Trumpet triple. In '07 I paid 7400 out the door for my Vstrom1000, the only brand new bike I've ever owned. It took another grand to set it up for comfortable(for me) touring but it made more sense then double the cost for a Concours.

I found it amazing that what a 16 y/o kid can buy off the floor in 1998, would totally destroy what I used to roadrace......24 years earlier.....the bikes today, spinning at 15K...well, they may be nice and they may have a lot of the same technology that was built into my SLK mercedes.....but how will they be holding up at 30 or 40 thousand miles?
    I guess the thinking is that they will be sold long before they reach such milestones.

For me, I like knowing that I can fix pretty much anything on the side of the road if need be. Granted, my Vee has 20 grand on it and it has never broke down and being a "cheap bike", one could assume that the nicer bikes are even more reliable but if one of those goes down, you might find a degree in electronics more benificial then engine repair experience. I'm not completely cynical.....I'd love to take one on a "test ride" for a few hours, or until my back complained<LOL>!!

jeff

8. biggs500

biggs500 Active Member

+1 on that. I really liked my Bandit. Just didn't need three bikes. But now I'm looking for another XJ. Not real vigorously, but when I find the right one I'll buy it. :D

9. BmwE30

BmwE30 Member

I would say the triumph bonneville/t100 is an excellent exception to your categories Rick-o-matic. Although I do agree with you, there are still a tiny few amount of options out there. Royal enfield has a few options too (and the thought of owning a thumper just screams matchless to me), but they have sketchy frame flex above 70mph and terrible tires from the factory. Too bad Kawasaki didn't choose to release the W800 in the states. I like my XJ but I'd sell it in a heartbeat to put a down payment on a new W800.

10. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

4 CYL transversely mounted - check
    Fuel injection and shaft drive - check
    anti-lock brakes, thermometer - bonus !
    [​IMG]
    Total cost - under $7,500 , but it didn't have that "new bike smell"

11. ZaGhost

ZaGhost Member

Yammi are still missing a market chunk...

Entry level... their entry level bike is the FZ6-R

Suzuki still have the GS500
    Kawi have long held the biggest portion with the EX250 and EX500 (phased out)
    Honda wole up and added the CBR125 and now the CBR250

As far as newish bikes ... I think the SV650 wasthe big winner,
    sport and standard options
    great weight power ratio,
    and the 70hp L twin ......

12. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

here's a thought. maybe people who want the old UJM models back don't want to go as fast as a crotch rocket goes and don't want to admit that they've reached a age that a cruiser is what they should have. or maybe new bikes just cost too much!

13. adrian1

adrian1 Active Member

Possibly, but I've got both! So where does that leave me? ;)

14. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Maybe those reasons are valid for some, maybe even for a lot of others but for me they aren't.

There is absolutely not a single doubt in my mind that had I bought the zx10r or cbr1000rr instead of my vstrom back on 07 as I had actually considered, I would be dead now. That isn't some out-of-the-blue bold, stupid(might be stupid to say but there's a point to it) statement, it is as close to fact as it can be. I know me very well. I've been hanging around me for 50-some years and there is no way I would be able to ride a bike like that, with those capabilities without exploring that "edge". There are very, very few ex racers that can resist it and I'm not one. My "safety", was not buying one to begin with. I tried to justify it by telling myself that I had my fun, lived and lived to tell about it which makes me one of the fortunate ones. There is also that nagging fact about reflexes slowing down after reaching 30 years old which occurred more than a score of years earlier. The old UJM's were pigs to me, fat, heavy, tall & wide and I never desired one and never owned(to ride) one. I raced and rode(on the street) 2 strokes for a number of reasons but power, cost(to go fast) and weight are probably the main reasons. One thing about racers......you want to feel connected to your bike? Be required to push it to start it...you'll instantly be more connected than pressing a button can ever do.

Anyway, having all this grey hair does come with a few advantages....I could buy any bike I want but other than a nice Duc or MV which are pieces of art to me, none really capitivates me. I am no different than millions of other riders worldwide, I love riding but if my feet are in front of my knees, I must be either driving or sitting in a recliner cause I sure ain't riding that way<LOL>!!

jeff

15. bluemax

bluemax Member

I love my Xj and it got me back riding after many years of being bike less. the current cruiser market has nothing to offer me as im addicted to inline 4s. But soon as its possible I will back on plastic and the XJ will be handed down to the wife as this is where my heart lye's.

[​IMG]

16. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

i'd love an fz-8

[​IMG]

17. gunnabuild1

gunnabuild1 Member

[​IMG]
    New XJ6S
    We get these here but at this price point there is a lot of competition and to be honest a Wee Strom is more what I would like for this sort of money.
    Pillion seat looks more comfy on the Wee,which keeps SWMBO happy, I hope.
    [​IMG]
    Not gonna happen though, own my XJ and that trumps payments everytime.

18. ski84

ski84 Member

Not new, not old, no shaft drive and no fuel injection but quick, excellent handling, comfortable, efficient (48MPG avg) and worth every penny.

[​IMG]
    2001-FZ1

Would I buy a new FZ1? In a heartbeat at the right price!

19. Ledicott96

Ledicott96 Member

I don’t really think there’s any modern bikes I would like to own, possibly a Kawasaki klx450r http://www.kawasaki.co.uk/KLX450R because it’s got a carburettor and kick-start. I find most modern bikes to be overly complicated non user maintenance friendly, also the fact that most things have just been replaced with one MASSIVE wiring harness. I can’t wait to see how these modern bikes hold out over time; looks like you may need an electronic engineering degree to restore one.
    Al

20. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

[​IMG]

This, but way too expensive. :/ And kinda fugly lol