1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Is this noise cam chain slack? (you tube video)

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by scizolt, Jul 15, 2009.

1. scizolt

scizolt New Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYBa3ubTNMU

Is the noise in the video the typical cam chain slack? The thing is I have tried to manually adjust the automatic tenstioner. I also have tried rotating the motor one way then quickly the other. It still has the same noise. It really sounds to me like it is the cam chain, but I would like other opinions. Could it be so stretched that the tensioner will not add anymore tension? Sometimes it sounds like it will actually skip or even slap something.
    I had just started the bike that's why it bogged a bit in the video.

2. pictishusa

pictishusa Member

mine is a maxim and has a slight noise that sounds like cam chain too, yours to me at least made me think maybe exhaust leak at the engine to header, but then again maybe cam chain, im sure someone with a little more knowledge will chime in.

3. rob_lit79

rob_lit79 Member

It sounds like the common valve clatter. Both my Maxim and Seca sound like that. I have adjusted the valves and chain on both and it still sounds like that.

4. scizolt

scizolt New Member

Sure, some of it could possibly be the exhaust.I havent checked that so I cant rule that out. But I do know for a fact that there is some ugly noises coming from the valve area.
    I think my next step would pull to pull the covers off and check my clearances, and just see what I can see. Thanks so far for the input.

5. SLKid

SLKid Active Member

I got the same noise. Its bad when I first start up, loud and obnoxious. But after she warms up and stuff it goes mostly away. I just figured that was normal cause everyone on here has the same prob. Just puts that little extra worry in your mind though

6. Tito

Tito Member

I've got an 82 xj550 that sounds just like that, when i pull in the clutch it makes it sound "less bad". But she runs great and no shifting problems or slippage.

7. scizolt

scizolt New Member

Yes SLKid mine also when it warms up is not as obnoxious.
    Does any ones sound like sometimes the chain may be so slack that it may skip a tooth? Sometimes to me it sounds like that only when I first start it before it is warmed up.

8. SLKid

SLKid Active Member

Could be. I also read a post a long time ago that said the person had a "similar" noise and it turned out to be something in the clutch. After he rebuilt the clutch with new springs and screws and friction plates the noise went away

9. scizolt

scizolt New Member

I have never even thought about the clutch. Knowing the P.O. was a stunter I'm sure my clutch has seen better days.

10. Thijs_205_Rallye

Thijs_205_Rallye Member

Bike sounds healthy to me.

grz Thijs

11. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

I LOVE my valves, at 4.5k she sounds like frogs singing. Music to my ears, i actually wish i had the middle gear whine.

12. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

It doesn't sound like Cam Chain Slack. It sounds more like one loose Valve.
    You can determine if the Chain is Slack by removing the Cam Cover and lifting the Chain straight-up off the Guide Bridge and feeling and seeing the Slack.

Without removing the cover, you might try doing a Manual RESET of the Cam Chain Tensioner.
    The procedure's easy.
    Pull the plugs. Take-off the Left Side Crank Cover. Smoothly take the Engine through two complete revolutions in its NORMAL Direction.
    Slow to a stop.
    REVERSE Direction Quickly ... presenting any slack before the Tensioner and listen for the Tensioner to "Click" as the Pawl moves-out a notch.

13. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

PART, not all, of the sound is the Hi-Vo primary chain. Unlike the shaft-drive bikes, the 550s and 600s actually drive the transmission (not just the starter) with a big chain. It has an hydraulically-operated tensioner that is fed by engine oil pressure, which is why it (almost) completely goes away as soon as the revs come up. A rattly clutch will amplify the effect.

From listening to your vid, though; that's NOT the only sound. I agree with Rick; maybe one loose valve, or even an exhaust "tick" at the head or collector joints or EGA plugs (bottom of the pipes, tiny plug.)

14. jarreddaughtry

jarreddaughtry Member

If you want ot hear a noisy bike you should hear mine. It rattles and vibrates. It is the noisiest engine I have ever heard, but it still runs fine with plenty of power. I have done my valve clearences and "helped" my cam chain tensioner and it still does it. I guess it is just these bikes. Oh well I'll drive it till it blows.

15. mcrwt644

mcrwt644 Member

I had an 82 xj750 that sounded horrid. I replaced the cam chain guides, reset the tensioner, and it made it better, but still made the noise.

My 85 x makes noise below 1k rpms. I've readjusted the cam chain tensioner, and my valves are on the tight side. It still makes noise.

16. scizolt

scizolt New Member

Ya I've read many of threads that have said noise is not always bad, but I really just wanted to double check with some experts. I'll pull covers off today and see what I can see.
    Thanks for all the info.....

17. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Member

There's a specific forum for that model: http://seca2.forumup.org/index.php?mforum=seca2

But keep this one too, they're usually faster and more trustworthy with their answers and a lot of the stuff applies to our bikes, too.

Being a member of this forum is like having your own personal bike gang :D

18. scizolt

scizolt New Member

Thanks Pseudonym Im actually a member over there as well.

19. scizolt

scizolt New Member

I pulled covers off and all my clearances check out ok. My chain is good to.
    I still have to check exhaust.
    So I guess in all it's all good noise I am hearing.
    Thanks everyone for the input.