1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Isn't winter over yet ? !!!

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Teewinot, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Teewinot

Teewinot New Member

Its been a very long time since I've posted here but I've got the mid-winter blues. Seeing my bike in the garage and dreaming about warmer weather has me bummed. I need to get my XJ700 out and ride. We've had -30 degrees here in Northern Wisconsin nearly every morning for a week and I have no doubt this will be a long and brutal winter. If there is anyone else out there suffering the winter and going through XJ withdrawl symptoms I'd like to hear about it. Would be nice to know I'm not the only one longing for riding season to return.

2. greggvickrey

greggvickrey Member

Tee, glad to see you back. if it's any concilation, right now in middle tenn. its 30 deg, trying to snow & it sucks. i just got my 650 up & running over the holidays & it sure would be nice to take a ride. i did put the 1st 10 miles on it saturday, it was in the 40's & i couldn't stand to wait any longer.

3. Teewinot

Teewinot New Member

In the 40's sounds like good riding weather to me. A little cold weather riding never hurt anybody, its just the terrible road conditions that keep my XJ tucked away for the winter. I don't really care for riding on ice and loose sand. I've managed to keep the shiny side up so far and don't want to push my luck.

4. elementjoe

elementjoe Member

i hear ya man, its been in the single digits here in upstate NY for about 2 weeks now. i can't even get out and tinker with her in this cold.

5. SecaRob

SecaRob Member

Yeah, where in the hell is my global warming anyway?

Yes I am chomping at the bit to drive around and see some LCD goodness....

Actually I think hanging out on this board is making it worse for me :)

6. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

it's so cold our politicians put their hands in their own pockets :)

7. alkasmeltzer

alkasmeltzer Member

It's so cold, I saw a guy selling "soup on a stick!" :lol:

8. PaulT

PaulT Member

I feel for ya Tee. Same thing in NH. Another foot of snow Sunday.
    Got a spare set of carbs sitting in my shop waiting to be rebuilt, but no heat out there & no place to work on them in the house.

counting the days.............

9. fwright625

fwright625 Member

Yeah, here in the Windy City, its been in the single digits if not lower and its driving me kookoo for coacoa puffs. My last ride of the season was Toys for Tots and that was maybe a month ago... seems like the longest month of my life! Luckily we have a few motorcycle shows coming up and that should make the next few months fly by smoothly.

10. NursePadawan

NursePadawan Member

Stupid planetary axial tilt...thing

11. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Indoor motorcycles (racing) on ice!!! Flint, MI at what used to be the IMA arena I can't remember the new name, January 24... be there or be square!

And yeah it's been too bitter here for words. The damn arctic air mass was supposed to be gone but the dashboard in the Wabbit said 4*F (above at least) this morning. It was a tropical 9 by the time I got to downtown Motown. My XJs and the Norton are PINING...

12. TSizemore3

TSizemore3 Member

I guess I shouldn't mention that tonight it's supposed to be the coldest night of the year here. It might get down to 34 degrees tonight. There may even be some snow flakes falling north of Tampa. Frozen wasteland...

13. RangerG

RangerG Member

You poor babies! Try living in an igloo and riding a dog sled all winter. I have to suffer through a full 7 months of PMS (parked Motorcycle syndrome) every year! It was actually above freezing for three days now. This is following a full month of bitter cold -25*C to -35*C. That's - 10-30*F. Riding season doesn't start until mid to end of May.

14. xj650ss

xj650ss Member

We just finished two weeks of ridable weather but unridable roads here! my only saving grace is having the max in pieces for repair so could do something stupid (like try to get to the dry road at the end of the 150 feet of snow and ice i call a parking lot!)

15. Big_Ross

Big_Ross Member

Well, I'm just back in Adelaide after riding round southern Laos in utterly perfect weather.
    Rode to work today (First day back) through sunny, eighty degree Fahrenheit, windless warmth.
    You guys REALLY need to get your priorities straight! How can ANYBODY live in the sort of climate you describe?

16. xj650ss

xj650ss Member

Hey Ross you got a spare room at your place until i can find a job and my own place!!!

17. anthrhelping

anthrhelping Member

Last Sat. it was -26' F at 3am (forced to work grave yard all winter) this winter sucks and Al Gore can kiss my A** I am praying for global warming. Also why do we think we are all mighty and can prevent or even cause such a global problem we only occupy a minor portion of this world and can't for once someone say that all of us none cage drivers may have contributed to lowering oil demand. I had seen more bikes on the roads last season than ever before. Not the economy but a conscious effort brought upon by the consumer. AHHHHHHHHHHH winter sucks I even got my sled stuck the other day, enough is enough.

18. MACDBF

MACDBF Member

Guys I hear ya, Living up North is starting to really suck. I used to think the Canadian Maritimes had nice weather, that is when I lived in Labrador, NF. :p But it's not just the cold that gets to you up here, it's the evil temp swings. It was -20C with the wind this morning, and its going back up to plus 4C tomorrow with rain, and right back down to -20 for Sunday. AINT no driving in that! Any how, at least you get to do a little maintenance until spring.

Cheers Mac

19. Teewinot

Teewinot New Member

I've spent the last to days riding my quad around out in the woods but it just isn't satisfying my desire to put two fists into the wind and explore the limitless expanses of pavement. It got up to 12*F today. Thats warm enough for a ride... right...?

20. alkasmeltzer

alkasmeltzer Member

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! 60*F yesterday, little wind and sunny. Beautiful day. got about another 100 miles in aand loved every minute of it.

Today? -7*F, 30 mph wind and about 6" of snow on the ground and it's gonna get worse.

Mother Nature is such a freaking tease!!! :twisted: