1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Just got out bid on eBay

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by adrian1, May 26, 2012.

1. adrian1

adrian1 Active Member

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Oh, golly.

I don't blame you. However: if you were to find a decent early Atlas you could build your own very plausible replica for about a third of what that one went for. There are so many non-stock parts on that one you can't really tell it was originally a Domi. You can still track down Lyta Alloy tanks, although the one on that bike looks like it came from Terry Baker http://www.tabclassics.com/product.php?id=29

3. adrian1

adrian1 Active Member

Fair enough.....i know its expensive by us standards but over here a bike like that can go for 15 k

4. bigfitz52

Oh, here too. But it was the fact that it was originally a Domi 600 is what made it "rare" except after all the mods you really couldn't tell, visually.

A nearly identical cafe racer could be built from a much less rare bike and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

5. ken007

ken007 Member

sorry to hear you getting outbidded, im bidding on some bikes myself at the moment and it seems that what i find desireable so do other people with more money than me, , i looked at a low k's FJ1200 yesterday and it was immaculate, best ive ever seen for that type,not everyones cup of tea but id have in a heart beat
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/330738480224 ... 344wt_1396

6. bigfitz52

WOWZAS. That is one absolutely gorgeous FJ1200. That's one of those "always wanted one" bikes for me too.

You saw this one in person?

7. adrian1

adrian1 Active Member

8. ken007

ken007 Member

the white cop one looks good but would have to many k's on it for me, its not far away either, but that other one was a nice half hour ride up at beechmere, i still cant get over it, had all the original exhaust and bits there aswell and mint, an interesting little story, he had a little sticker made up for it with the word paperclip on it, he told me that he bought the bike from basically nothing, he was given a few plants and stuff which he sold then bought and sold stuff on ebay ,raised the funds found the bike , just like the bloke who started with a paper clip on ebay and ended up with some good stuff. pretty amazing really.

9. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

crazy cool story, and an AMAZING bike. daymn!! 8O 8O

10. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Yes Adrian, you lost a nice bike. There's a cure for being outbid though. I've used it on a couple of occassions......be willing to spend more money!

The flipside is that the other bidder has deeper pockets or is more willing to reach deeper. I've come up with what makes me feel better whenever I "lose" something to another bidder/buyer. I simply tell myself that had I gone that extra 100 or 1000, he would have just raised his bid over mine and the only thing that does is make the seller rich. Know your top dollar before you ever enter the fray......and if the bidding exceeds your number, close the webpage!!!

Sorry that you lost it, but the price it went for doesn't surprise me, especially for a bike in AU.

jeff

11. adrian1

adrian1 Active Member

Good advice....from the look of the bid history it looks to me as if the automatic eBay bidding system was running between2 bidders and the clock ran out. Ie it would have gone higher if the auction clock was still running. By the way, re make an offer bids, if you do nothing with a seller's counter offer what happens?

12. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

The counteroffer expires after their preset time period, usually 48 hours. Sometimes, they will set it not to expire but no worries, just delete the email from ebay telling you about it and you have nothing commited. You can also decline and reoffer but I've never done that. If I make an offer and they don't want to sell it for my offer, I'll either pay him his price if it's something I really need or I'll just pass on it.

jeff

13. adrian1

adrian1 Active Member

Fair enough...how come some sellers withdraw an item during bidding? Are they allowed to sell it elsewhere?

14. LETitRIDEparts

LETitRIDEparts Member

adrian - a seller is allowed to withdraw an item up to 12 (no less)hours prior to the listing end. It can be for any reason. Either they sold it off eBay or maybe there is just not enough action for them and they don't want it to sell for too low. I personally do not cancel for that reason because I only put things on auction that I don't care what they sell for (plus it takes the fun out of it), but yes they are allowed to do that. Message the seller with a fair offer and then ask if it is still available. If you just ask if it is still available then they will most likely say it sold elsewhere or got damaged so they do not look cheap.

15. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

The situation that burns my butt is when you win an item......and the seller refunds your money without so much as a note to tell you. I really don't know why that wires me so much but it does. Usually, it's because they don't want to honor the price which in some cases is understandable. For instance a couple of weeks ago, I "won" a NOS vintage exhaust header for a bike for 50 bucks.....it's worth 3 times that....the seller refunded my money the next day and I never heard boo for him. No courage at all.....I might have been mad if he would have written to say he wasn't going to sell it that cheap, but I would have respected his courage....now, he's just a chicken-sh*t to me.

Also, why do some sellers start an item at a dollar and hold a 200 dollar reserve? Why not just list it at the lowest price you're willing to take for it and see if it goes higher?

Sorry Adrian, didn't mean to hijack your thread....

jeff

16. adrian1

adrian1 Active Member

Thanks. That's all good info

17. Wirehairs

Wirehairs Member

I too used to get outbid at the last second on Ebay. I hated that. The problem of course is that people bid in the last few seconds because you have a change to raise you bid. The practice is called snipping. Well, I avoid that now by using Auction Sniper. The first few times it's free, and you get free snipes by friends signing up. Even if you pay for your snipes, it's a tiny percentage that is recoup in money saved. I only use it for auctions of several hundred dollars or so; not trivial stuff.

http://www.auctionsniper.com/?who=5h%2f ... G4Cg%3d%3d

18. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

x2. reserves are just stupid, lol. i never use em.

bidnapper is also a bidding service you can use, costs afew bucks, but you know you got it, lol

19. adrian1

adrian1 Active Member

The fj went for 5.5k

20. ken007

ken007 Member

i hate reserves as well, put it up for the minimum i say, i think what sellers are trying to achieve is when people start bidding they get it in their head that the item is going to be theres,so a low price start gets them to participate, try and get a few bidding wars happening till 2 people find they cant live without it and will pay extra just to get it,
    whoever won the FJ1200 will be happy for sure,