1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Leaking Carby?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by redcentre003, Sep 13, 2010.

1. redcentre003

redcentre003 Member

Been a while since I posted mainly due to other commitments (life gets in the way of enjoyment sometimes!) but have been lurking regularly.

But now I need some carby advice.

Just lately over the last 2 weeks when I apply the enrichment circuit (i.e. choke) I could smell petrol. No signs of leaking anywhere so I didn't give it much of a thought. This morning however I looked under the carby bowls and there was a small drop of petrol forming on number the 3 carby bowl. But the leak is not coming from the screw in the bowl but apparently somewhere between number 2 & 3 carby.

Before I start pulling things apart, is there something related to the enrichment circuit that would cause petrol to leak betwen those 2 carburettors?

Thanks guys.

Red

2. Crush

Crush New Member

Don't know what type XJ you have, but I've had leaks in 2 places:
    1. The petcock (750)
    2. The t-fitting that feeds the fuel rail to the carbs. (700)

With the petcock, understand that fuel can leak and then travel down the hose and drip elsewhere. Fuel dripping from the carb bottom or bowl may not originate from that carb or even near-by.

Bowl gaskets can seep fumes if bad, then condense into droplets and run down the bowl sides.

If your t-fitting is between carb 1 & 2, you can remove the #1 carb w/o breaking others from the rack. My o-rings were bad on the tee; new ones are tight and reassembly is difficult. The tee, with new o-rings, is hard to insert into both carb orifices - lube with silicone or wd40.

3. Robert

Robert Active Member

We've been wondering where you had gotten to... Glad you are well, come visit us again some time.

Are the carbs on the 900 the same as the 650/750?

4. redcentre003

redcentre003 Member

Hi Robert,

I'm still here, just busy with work and the ever present money pit called a home renovation! Maybe it's because of all the good advice received in the past from the XJers here that my XJ900 has been largely trouble free for quite a while. I lurk (or is that LOOK) on the site at least a couple of times a week to pick up hints and read about others' bike issues just in case...

The carbies on the 900 are Mikuni BS36 - not sure what is on the 650/750's etc. but so long as they're Mikuni's I guess the set up and configuration is largely the same the only difference being the jets/diameter etc.

PS I keep looking for those cheap air fares to LA or San Francisco and the time to do another little road trip like last time but doing more of the coast. All good memories from last year apart from the LA freeway system back to LAX - dropping off the hire car was accompanied by a huge sigh of relief that I actually managed to be in the correct lane at the required exit!

But...I'LL BE BACK!