1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

LED turn signal flasher problem fear NO more. $13 dollar MOD

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by 85MaximBobber, Aug 11, 2010.

1. 85MaximBobber

85MaximBobber New Member

I have read alot of threads on here looking for a solution to my problem with my turn signals just staying on and not flashing due to the low resistance of LEDs. Here people were telling me to get a new flasher and wire it in and I was getting confused on it all. Few people suggested getting a resistor for it, but that idea kind of passed through one ear and out the other until I realized how easy it was to get a couple resistors. Here is my solution for my LED problem. autozone sells them and possibly more places. heres the link>http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Jam-Strait-Ceramic-LED-load-equalizer/_/N-25id?counter=0&filterByKeyWord=jamstraight+load+equalizers&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=862778_0_0_

Part number 625LE

They are made by a company called Jam Straight. they are load equalizers that you just wire into your turn signals. Thats it! Works perfect! no messing with having to figure out what kind of relay you are needing or any of that crap. these are straight ip universal and will work on just about anything. they worked aamazing on my XJ700. I cannot tell you whether this mod will still work with the auto cancel do to the fact that that feature does not work on my bike, but any guys out there looking to convert to LED bulbs, but fear the hassle of trying to get them to work. Fear no more haha. every single bubl on my bike is a LED light and the package comes with two so you have to wire in one for each side and you are good to go! Not sure if anyone else has used these, but I highly recommend them! If anyone has any ?'s feel free to ask, but I figured it seems like everyone has a problem with there turn signals so I thought I would get the message out there and try and help some others out who may be looking for te easy way out like I was.

2. Altus

Altus Active Member

The problem with this solution (resistors, load balancers, whatever you want to call them) is that you lose the primary benefit that most are after when changing to LED's -- power savings. They're now taking up just as many Watts, if not more, than the old bulbs.

They do have the cool instant-on thing going for them, but on the other hand they're not quite as bright as the old bulbs. So without the power savings, it's down to a cosmetic choice.

3. 85MaximBobber

85MaximBobber New Member

Some peoples opinion i am sure is different than mine, but i convert to LEDS for the cool factor, brightness, bulb life, and sleekness. I think they are very bright, which my turn signal per side has about 20 individual bulbs in it per side so that might be why, but you prolly have a good point with the resistors drawing power. I posted this for those looking for an easy fix to there led problem and not a power saver so it has its pros and cons haha.

4. Militant_Buddhist

Militant_Buddhist Member

IMO the best selling point for LED's is their longevity buried down inside the atari. I could hardly care less about saving watts since it doesn't have much effect on ability to run heated grips or beefier lighting.
    blinkers are only an occasional/intermittent load so I don't worry if the battery has to run them. It can charge back while they're off.

5. darkfibre

darkfibre Member

This is probably a good solution for people who want to fit LED indicators, but cannot cope with any new information or follow basic instructions about what they have changed.

Horses for courses.

6. Jay~Dub

Jay~Dub Member

(not so) sunny North Wales, United Kingdom.
    Re: LED turn signal flasher problem fear NO more. $13 dollar

I think you did a good job - I appreciate your research, and bothering to help others.
    I won't shoot you down
    WELL DONE! :wink:

7. ayudame

ayudame New Member

i was informed that if you just wired the led turn signals in that they would flash very quickly, not that they wouldnt flash at all. does differ depending on the turn signal themselves? like if there are more leds in the turn signal or something?

8. zap2504

zap2504 Member

You should have been able to replace your OEM flasher module for an electronic one from Autozone for about a $1 more than the equalizers. LED bulbs would have worked; flashers would have been consistent regardless of idle speed; no extra wiring. Just sayin...

9. Metal_Bob

Metal_Bob Active Member

I saw Led flasher relay on Ebay for $7. Would that do the job it you don't care about auto cancel?
    Could post links tomorrow.