1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

lets see some chopped and hidden wiring

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by biglandbiker, Apr 20, 2014.

1. biglandbiker

biglandbiker New Member

hey guys just starting to chop my 82 xj550 looking to see some hidden wiring and chopped wiring pics to get a feel for how I'm gonna do this. thanks

2. 4freese

4freese Member

I'm getting ready to do an entire harness and will be using sticker labels covered with clear shrink tubing for labeling the wires. I have made harnesses when I was in the military and know how to do the diagrams and all that too. The most expensive part is the wire if you use different colors. I am going to be using only black for grounds and other solid colors for positive like purple for lights and yellow for the stator, etc. I will take pictures when I'm done with it.

3. biglandbiker

biglandbiker New Member

awesome man thanks, ya money isn't an issue. this is my first build so i wanna go all out with it. have something to be proud of when I'm finished

4. 4freese

4freese Member

I hear you there. I run a shop so I am constantly working on other peoples rides instead of my own. This will be my second build and I cannot stand the stock harness on these bikes. This is where Harley had it right, simple and easy. The metric bikes tend to have allot of unnecessary splits in the wiring if you ask me.

5. biglandbiker

biglandbiker New Member

oh man the harness on my xj looks like a disgusting birds nest of black blue yellow red and brown wires, makes me sick too look at, thats the only thing harley did right lol

6. BaldWonder

BaldWonder Innocent Bystander

Great, now I need to look up Harley wiring to see what we're missing out on.

Also, I'll get you a picture of the inside of my headlight and the underneath of my fender. I'm still putting off re-engineering where everything goes under the seat.

7. ChrisRomello

ChrisRomello Member

You can run the engine and starter wires under the starter and between the carbs under the tank; you can't even tell that they are there. I'm doing that on my bike and when I get to that point I'm going to make a thread on it.

8. colehole

colehole Member

I'll be keeping my eye out for that cause I'm still trying to come up with ideas to hide some of my wiring too. I was thinking about building a fake oil tank out of some 4" diameter pipe to hide some wiring.
    Side note, you're in Port St. Joe? I'm over in Panama City!

9. thejewishguy

thejewishguy Member

Why is it people talk about what they're doing or have done but yet never post photos of it ?

After all the title of this thread is after all:

" lets see some chopped and hidden wiring "

10. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i don't call it neat or hacked but it's electrically correct

Attached Files:

11. BaldWonder

Alright alright alright! I've been at a bachelor party all weekend... that's my only excuse right now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I even pulled it out into the sunlight for most of them. Happy now? ;)

12. thejewishguy

thejewishguy Member

Baldi

Where are your photos.. they are not displaying.. when i go to respond with quoting you i get a virus threat !
    Snapdo and then some box that says that my computer is not to par and needs to have a system check...

Check your computer Baldi

This is what i see for your post:
    [​IMG]

Then i clicked to respond by clicking on Quote:
    [​IMG]

Then when i press enter to see the url in another window tab i get this:
    a Virus !!

[​IMG]

13. BaldWonder

Yikes!

I don't mean to sound dismissive, but I'm thinking this is on your end, only because what I'm seeing so far doesn't make sense:
    I made that post on my tablet at home, and I'm now on my laptop at work, and I see the pictures just fine. I also went straight to the url in a new tab, and the pictures load there. Also, I didn't auto-generate those urls: I copied the first part from previous posts I've made and substituted the random character string for each photo by typing it in manually after clicking "share" from the photobucket app on my phone to see what that string of characters would be.

Looking at your screenshots, it looks like you're running on Windows XP. Microsoft stopped supporting XP just a few weeks ago, and just this morning there was a report released about a new security flaw found in IE on Windows XP (http://www.engadget.com/2014/04/27/inte ... _truncated - I'm not hyperlinking this, just in case).

Granted you're on Firefox so that doesn't specifically apply, but overall if you're on XP still, you're about as safe as a raccoon on a highway. Don't get me wrong, I'll run a scan on every thing I've got to be safe, but you may want to disconnect your internet connection until you get a new setup.

Anyone else having this issue with the pictures?

14. BaldWonder

Also, I would suggest starting your computer in safe-mode while running scans. It helps to avoid running certain parts of the OS that viruses need to work. Then the scans are able to find the viruses more effectively because they're not able to hide themselves.

Use Ad-Aware, Spybot, and HiJackThis at a minimum. And if you don't already have Windows Defender, then get that (if MS hasn't killed off all the old links already) and run that.

Or you could always go with the scorched earth policy and format the harddrive.

15. Bighappy

Bighappy Member

Snapdo search engine is malware. It's definitely not on Bald's end.

16. thejewishguy

thejewishguy Member

This is how I cleaned up my wires.. I used a vintage aluminum coffee canister 7.5" × 5" diameter
    Let's see if I can post pics from my android cell phone

17. BaldWonder

Also of note: My tablet is a Surface RT. Windows RT won't run 32bit applications.

18. thejewishguy

thejewishguy Member

This is how I cleaned up my wires.. I used a vintage aluminum coffee canister 7.5" × 5" diameter
    Let's see if I can post pics from my android cell phone

[​IMG]

Now I cleaned it with Baking Soda and Lime Juice , then wet sanded and buffed the Coffee Canister

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I made the hole with a Unibit or Xmas tree drill bit
    [​IMG]

Then i used a rotary bit to open it up some more to put the cables and wiring through
    [​IMG]

I used a Coupler nut to serve as a spacer and at the same to bolt it to the bike and a bolt washer combo on the inside to hold it together.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I covered the lid hole with the Junction Produce wheel center cap decal.. blue is my favorite color
    [​IMG]

All the wiring is inside nice , neat and tucked away
    [​IMG]

Here is the finished product with the custom tread plate battery box i made...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The battery box i made and i used my vice and 2x4 to make the bends

Made the lines where i will cut and then bend the pieces on the edges to form the box.. have not figured out yet how to keep the sides together. Maybe i will use Liquid Nails and then the treadplate will put on via Double face tape.[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Used flat bar to hold the aluminum in place on the vice so i could get some good radiuses and not have the piece crack on me while bending over... the wood piece is great to bending the aluminum plus it wont scratch it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Onetrackstu

Onetrackstu Member

^ looks awesome. I hope I can hide my wiring in the large 1in high area between my seat pan and bottom of the frame.

20. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

there's a lot of wasted space on 750's up in the neck of the frame