1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Liquid Leaf on Tank Badges

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Madone1, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Madone1

Madone1 Member

2. Altus

Altus Active Member

I haven't tried that stuff, but I have tried traditional leaf -- very finicky, but if you get it right the results are as close to the original finish as you can get.

Found an example of the liquid leaf online that gives a pretty good idea of how it finishes out -- they used it for decorative eggs, but you'll see what I mean:
    Liquid Leaf Eggs

3. lorne317

lorne317 Member

Yeah I tried that stuff from Michaels on my side cover badges.It turned out pretty good, but not as shiny as original.It leaves more of a satin finish.

4. midnightblu

midnightblu Member

i wonder if clear coat would help that ?

5. Great_Buffalo

Great_Buffalo Member

We used to gold leaf figure heads on old sailing ships. We would cover it with varnish. That would really make them shine. I'm sure they have other products out there for more modern uses. If you find someone that still does traditional firetruck gold leafing they would be able to tell you what you would need. I would think any fine custom paint shop could tell you.

6. bill

bill Active Member

+1 I did the same thing. I used a clear lacquer coating but still a bit duller then factory.

Overall I would recommend it I was very happy.