1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Looking at options to replace front pegs - '82 Maxim 750

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Ted, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Ted

Ted Member

Hey guys - just looking for some opinions/suggestions on replacing the front pegs on my "82 Maxim 750 bobber. Right now they're actually mismatched and one of 'em is a little droopy. I've seen that you can just buy replacement "rubbers" to freshen up the old ones & I'm not totally opposed to that idea but would prefer something a little more custom.

Maybe like one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-YZF-600R ... 868wt_1010

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-1999-YAMAH ... 868wt_1010

Any thoughts?

2. Ted

Ted Member

Re: Looking at options to replace front pegs - "82 Maxim 750

Sorry, maybe I should clarify a little:

I've never changed out a set of pegs before. From what I can tell it looks like there's a pin with a circlip that holds it in place (or does it need to be drilled out?).

I'd like to find something that doesn't require any real modification & still functions well. Just looking for any experiences/opinions.. good, bad, or otherwise.

Thanks!

3. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

The front will be different from the rears.

My 750 max is in my buddies garage and i cant look at it now, but i do have the 550 seca pegs inside and after looking at them, the fronts actually look riveted to the bracket. the rears are just a pin with a cotter pin.

I assume with the fronts that if you drilled the rivet, you could replace it with a bolt. I'd use some strong locktite on the threads though, along with a lockwasher/nut, as losing a peg driving down the highway would obviously be a bad thing.

4. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i didn't drill anything to take off my maxim pegs, must be a c-clip.
    maxim pegs are different than seca pegs, so watch that

5. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

Austin Texas USA ( a long way from the UK )
    I know this is an old thread but just wondering if anyone has any experience replacing the front and rear pegs on a Maxim with aftermarket ones. Interest to know what others have done.

6. Hotcakesman

Hotcakesman Active Member

i did it this summer
    it was simple.. I do think I had trouble getting the old ones out
    but I just went with run of the mill chrome
    used a cotter key to lock them.. easy peasy

7. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

Thanks - what size did you use to fit into the stock bracket? Do you happen to know the type/make or peg you used?

8. Hotcakesman

9. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

10. Hotcakesman

they are the same.. I made my bike a one person bike
    so I took the passenger pegs off
    worse situation the person can set their feet on the exhaust

Ribo likes this.
  11. junkmn

junkmn Member

12. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

thanks man - someone else mentioned VStar pegs before and I looked into them but they're too big for what I wanted. Really wanted the minimal all metal simple round ones and I already got this done...well so far so good. I got the rear pegs done using these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400670586025?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Once I knew they worked I ordered another set for the front... should be here tmw.

They're a tight fit but they work after some "engineering" - the issue is the hole in the middle is too big. I found a 7/16 piece of plastic tubing fit through it perfectly and then a small spring inside that with the stock pin-bolt pushed through it just made it all nice and snug.... I forgot to take photos this time but when I do the front pegs I will.

13. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

Just got the front ones sorted. Had to use a dremel to cut the end off the pin - seems like it was some odd factory welded end but the dremel took it off pretty easily. Now here's some photo's of what I did to make the hole in the middle the same size as the stock mount hole. I still have to venture to the hardware store to find a bolt that'll fit but that should be simple...

http://s1353.photobucket.com/user/ribo2105/library/XJ650 Pegs

For some reason the photo's uploaded in reverse order.

14. Hotcakesman

I think I bypassed the spring all together
    and just used the cotter clip and pin
    I have no need to flip them up
    looks good

15. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

Thanks - the spring I used in the middle actually was just something that worked and fit inside the plastic pipe to reduce the mounting hole size in the peg. I didn't use the stock spring that holds the peg down - didn't see the need and it was too big to fit back inside the new peg mount.

Sounds like the hole in your pegs was smaller or the brackets were bigger - I'm guess you did this on a 750 now I see you mention the cotter clip and pin. This is different to what I had here with just a pin and a fixed rivit.

Anyway you don't need a spring to hold them down but it's good if they can move up.

Just for anyone following this thread in the future - I used an M6 black bolt with a couple of washers, a spring washer and a nylon lock nut to hold it all back in place.

I didn't use the black large rubber washers seen here in the photo cos they didn't fit in the end. I just used another metal washer as a spacer on one side of the peg to make it fit a little more snug.

[​IMG]

They don't photograph well in the electric light as they reflect it but they are all black in reality.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014