1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Looking for a gas tank - XJ650/selling a 550 tank.

Discussion in 'For Sale, Trade/Swap, Wanted' started by tumbleweed_biff, Jul 15, 2008.

1. tumbleweed_biff

tumbleweed_biff Active Member

My XJ650 is finally running great. Imagine my surprise when it ran out of gas at 135 miles and I could only put in 3.5 gal. It looks like it was downgraded to a 550 tank.

I am looking for a 650 tank. Once I have that the 550 tank will be available.

550 tank has been sanded/sealed and petcock was just rebuilt with a $25 kit.

Michael

2. grmeyers

grmeyers Member

i have one for sale, will take $65.00 will send picture if you send me your address. thanks grm

3. Kickaha

Kickaha Active Member Premium Member

I thought the earlier 650 had a smaller 15 litre tank like the 550, I know the later 650 Seca had a 19.5 litre (about 5.0 US gallon) tank as I've just fitted one to my 550

The 650 tank is physically longer than the 550 so if a 550 tank has been fitted there would be a gap at the rear of the tank between the seat

Is it a Seca or Maxim?

edit, just saw your sig line, disregard all that I said :roll:

4. tumbleweed_biff

The tank that is on there fits lengthwise. All the specs I have seen show the '82 XJ650 having a 5 gal tank. As an '82, it shouldn't be an "early" version.

So how would it be that a 3.5 gal tank fits it if there is a length difference? Hmm.

5. hickslawns

hickslawns New Member

I am in need of a tank for my 81 xj550. How does the inside look? Rusty? Not so worried about paint, but dents and rust might cause me some headaches. You can call 419 233 9339 or e-mail philhicks@bright.net . Thanks, Phil

6. Sonwatcher

Sonwatcher Member

I have an 82 xj650. It seems like the specs your getting are for the Seca. Here is the capacity of fuel for an xj650 Maxim. Mine is this tank. I believe to get more capacity is to put on a tank from an xj750 which will interchange.

Fuel Capacity
    13 Litres

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/ ... _maxim.htm

7. pvtschultz

pvtschultz Member

Yup, I hit the reserve right at 2.2 gallons, every time on my '82 XJ650...

8. tumbleweed_biff

I see that now, the sites with stats I looked at before were obviously wrong. Am now trying to track down a tank from a 750 for a reasonable price.

Found 2 so far - one they want $165 and the other $185 ... seems an awful lot from a salvage parts place.