1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Looking for IL Xj mechanic

Discussion in 'Central US and Canada' started by Melissa89, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Melissa89

Melissa89 New Member

I need a good xj mecehanic somewhere in IL or a recommended shop that can take a look at my bike and get it tuned up for winter. I'm not too good with tools and would be impossible for me to even try. The bike definately needs all new wiring and just someother minor things.

2. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

Welcome Melissa
    We need a bit more details about what model you have and a more accurate location you are in. IL? Ireland? Have relatives there, wife was born in Port Stewart . Doesn't do much for me here in Vancouver BC .

3. kerriskandiesinc

kerriskandiesinc Active Member

IL??
    I'm from UK, no idea where IL is??....

I have a few contacts in Manchester, but......where is IL????? ;)

4. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Got a vintage bike night around you? Great resource to meet others and find out about any reputable shops or even members that do work. Most bike shops these days won’t touch older bikes or if they do they most likely won’t be through in their work.

Stumplifter and Eliel Cardenas like this.
  5. Walt Kienzle

Walt Kienzle New Member

Melissa, I have the same need. My XJ750RJ needs more TLC that I can personally provide. I am also in IL - the northeastern portion of the state. IL = Illinois for those not familiar with the Central US time zone.

Eliel Cardenas and Jetfixer like this.
  6. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

What are you needing done? I live just over the state line in Indiana

7. Eliel Cardenas

Eliel Cardenas New Member

Hey jetfixer, i live 30 minutes from chicago. I too am looking for help with an XJ700 that i just got this weekend!

8. Jetfixer

What are you needing help with?

XJ750DB likes this.
  9. Eliel Cardenas

looking at the right side of the bike. Left side of the valve cover, there are two bolts for left hand side of the housing. The right bolt of the left is broken, something i didnt notice along with the dripping oil there. That bolt is snapped, which im guessing is what is most likely causing the small leak by the "half moons" of the gasket. Ive never worked on a bike but it doesnt look too complicated to do the gasket, but have no idea how to remove the piece of bolt in the head.....

10. Sal Raciti

Sal Raciti New Member

Hello, I am in Milwaukee Wi, I have an xj650 that I did a total rewire from scratch, so I know the system pretty well. Let me know if you have any questions.

Erim Tezcan and Stumplifter like this.
  11. Eliel Cardenas

Awesome! Nice to meet you Sal Raciti. Im in elgin illinois, going to be trying to replace the gasket for the valve cover, but there is a snapped bolt and have np clue to get it out. My first bike and have tons of questions. Hard to find answers for an older bike like my xj700. Hard to find a local trustworthy mechanic. Im purchasing parts off banditbike and dont have tons of money to pay for labor. Im looking fir threads for tips and tricks and things to look for while im in there. So any help i will greatly appreciate!

12. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Xj4ever is a great place to buy parts (see top right of site). Chacal (Len) is knowledgeable and fast shipping. I have been burned buying XJ parts from other sites, and XJ4ever always gets it right. He also provides great information on "how to" install.

13. Jetfixer

Once you pull cover ,you need to check valve clearance , adjust as needed( shim change ) but get a new gasket (xj4ever has them) I recommend against RTV on gasket if you do use it lightly ( to much and it can squish out into the inside of the engine . ) Look for a thread search on valve adjustment , a couple of Zip ties , and an adjustable wrench are only tools needed.

Stumplifter and Eliel Cardenas like this.
  14. Eliel Cardenas

Thanks aalot ill go to him to get the parts for sure then. A lot of positive feedback from member about xj4ever

Stumplifter likes this.
  15. Eliel Cardenas

Ill search the forum to make sure i get this right. Sucks not having a person to let you know on the spot if youre doing something wrong or help lol. Ill get this figured out and bike will be feeling good again. I want to get the drive shaft oil freshened, oil change, new brakes front and rear. I want to be riding it by october latest. Got my MSF Course in september. Been only riding around the neighborhood to learn the basic and handling if this bike. Thank you members so much for the support!

16. Jetfixer

That is good first step, I can assist you most things on these bikes are relativity easy to do and if you don't posses a lot of tools harbor freight is affordable .

17. Eliel Cardenas

I have a small collection of tools, i buy the tools as i need them as thats how ive been gaining tools over the years. Investing in tools rather than paying someone to do my work is the way i see it. No offense to anyone if they are technicians. Ill need some help as to how to be checking the valve clearance and replacing the shoms you mentioned.

18. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

Franz and joe elliff like this.