1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Losing my mind with front fork ?!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by jonnymaritime, Jan 12, 2009.

1. jonnymaritime

jonnymaritime Member

So far Ive taken off the fork , removed the Cir Clip, and the air valve thing. NOW WHAT ? nothing want to budge . HOw do I remove the washer at the top ? The allen bolt at the bottom just spins. Any help would be greatly appriciated. The garage guy said he would change the oil seals in both for 100$ ( have the part) that seems steep .

2. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

That's not steep at all.

There is no washer at the top. Are you referring to the spring seat? The piece the schrader (air) valve screws into. Those can stick. DO NOT drive them down hard. The upper fork tube is tapered and they can wedge permanently. Try compressing the fork in a bar clamp and see if it pops loose.

To get the allen bolt out the bottom you need to hold the damping rod. A 19mm bolt head will grab it. Some people weld it to a rod, I just jam a couple nuts on the bolt (12mm usually has a 19mm head) and use a socket and extensions to hold it. I believe Chacal also sells a holding tool if you prefer to go that route.

3. jonnymaritime

jonnymaritime Member

4. nsosh5

nsosh5 Member

Yeah you can totally do this one yourself. Just take it one fork at a time and step by step. I built my own tool. wasn't hard to do either. Good luck!!!

5. richt

richt Member

I removed the bottom bold while the bike was on the ground and the wheel on. This prevents the fork tube from rotating.

The top cap was removed while the forks were still on the triple tree. Use a long bar clamp and the lower portion of the triple tree. Press the fork top using a small deep well socket. I did have trouble with corrosion on one fork, but was able to pick the wire ring out. I suggest replacing the wire rings with real c-clips (found in any good hardware store).

6. jonnymaritime

jonnymaritime Member

well the deed is done!And the oil smelled of rot...one of the spring seats gave me trouble, But i worked it loose... It took me nearly 4 hrs . And to replace the forks I lubed up the upper fork tube and wedged the tripple tree clamp with a flat head just a few mm, and it went in smooth. Now to tackle the busted off Exhaust studs. Thanks for the input guys.