1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Loud exhaust problems

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by pkaiz89, Jun 25, 2009.

1. pkaiz89

pkaiz89 New Member

U just bought my first bike this spring which was a 82 maxim, and am looking for a cheap way to get the exhaust to sound better. ive that a lot of people just take the mufflers all the way off. i was just wondering how often cops bother guys about having the exhaust like this?

2. pkaiz89

pkaiz89 New Member

i meant "i" just bought my first bike... maybe i should proof read uh?

3. dqnjuan

dqnjuan Member

although mufflers off are loud...its no where near straight pipe Harley loud. You will prolly have to re tune and possibly re jet but you should be ok with the cops.

Mine is only really loud reving when stopped no while riding with open headers.

4. pkaiz89

pkaiz89 New Member

How difficult is re- tuneing/re-jetting. and if i were to do this how do i know what to look for while doing it?

5. b0bv1la

b0bv1la Member

I have never been bothered yet. Loudest it gets is Highway driving when its really taching out but nowhere near Harley loud. I chopped my mufflers off behind the crossover and used some chrome extensions to get them back towards the passenger footpegs

6. pkaiz89

pkaiz89 New Member

might i also me ok (as in not have to re-jet) if i took the mufflers of after the collector or is a re-jet still in order?

7. switch263

switch263 Member

I've seen people do it both ways with no issues, but in general, the rule of thumb seems to be that you'll need to re-jet to prevent running lean.

Edit: And for the record, my seca hit near 130 dB at about 6500 or 7500 on the tach with the mufflers off. I wouldn't wanna ride it like that myself.

8. SLKid

SLKid Active Member

Someone told me that at the end of your mufflers, there is a chrome plate. Remove that plate, (though i've yet to figure out how without destroying it) and there should be 4 holes. Using a cutting tool, connect those four holes and make a diamond shape. It should slide right out and give you a better sound.
    So if anyone knows how to get that plate off I'll try it and YouTube a sound clip for ya'll/
    -Chris