1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Low power and clutch hard to get in 1st gear

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by jgarner, May 14, 2011.

1. jgarner

jgarner New Member

I am new to this and just bought a 1995 Seca 2. What is sea foam? Also the bike has in in the garage for a year. We checked the oil and other items and after a new battery it started up. Idle takes awhile. it has 13K miles on it and the people kept it in great condition and they are close friends so I trust them. The bike seems to have problem with power in 1st gear. I am thinking fowled plug. somewhere. Also I keep haveing problems getting it in 1st gear at stop lights sometimes. I had to adjust the clutch cable. Any ideas on all of this?

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

-Change the oil, don't just check it. Replace ALL the fluids; change the fork oil; replace the brake fluid.
    -Replace the plugs.
    -VALVE ADJUSTMENT (is likely way overdue.)
    -The clutch is very oil-sensitive. Be sure you use motorcycle oil, NOT "car" oil. Modern automotive oils contain friction modifiers that will not get along with your clutch or starter clutch.
    -"Keeping it in great condition" is NOT the same thing as "properly maintained." Unless you've seen something done or done it yourself, don't assume it hasn't simply been neglected. Shiny is not the same as safe and reliable. Be careful.
    -Get a service manual; you're going to need it.

Oh, and SeaFoam is a "gas treatment" that is nothing more than a blend of solvents, naptha and alcohol. Run it in your gas if you want (I don't like it) but DO NOT dump any in your crankcase.

3. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

You keep your bike in neutral at stop lights?

4. jgarner

jgarner New Member

Just placed bike in shop at Motorcycle Precision Services on LeBrea in Los Angeles near Hollywood. They are doing carb job, oil change, clutch service and adjustment and other checks. I am exchanging for new web design for them. We will see how it turns out. They noticed it has very low miles and stated it just needs carb cleaning and fluids due to being un-started for a year.

5. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

If they didn't include checking the valve clearances then they don't know old Yamahas. Period end of discussion. It's very basic and very critical, especially at the mileage that bike is at.