1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Lower bars for an 82 xj650

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by seamastertime, Feb 23, 2009.

1. seamastertime

seamastertime New Member

I just bought an 82 xj650 that I am going to fix up. One thing I'm not too keen on are the higher cruiser looking bars. Would like something lower, more conventional. But the myriad of bars out there are befuddling. Anybody have a suggestion on size, make, source for some lower but cool bars? Maybe a pic if you have one?

2. MaximumX

MaximumX Member

3. seamastertime

seamastertime New Member

I did exactly as you expected. I hate those buckhorn bars so bad, I don't care if the Superbike bars are what I actually want. But for $46, I was willing to gamble. Anything to get those bars off there. Thanks for suggestion!

4. MaximumX

MaximumX Member

Wow! You don't waste any time, do you? I hope they work out for you.

5. Tman_74

Tman_74 Member

i also have an '82 650 and those bars look BAD!!! Seamastertime, let me know what you do and what it looks like. I'm trying to get a "used" set of moto cross bars to see how they fit. What about the master cylinder? it looks like is set up for those bars, it will flatten out with different bars.....

6. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Guys; BikeMaster makes a WHOLE ASSORTMENT of different bend lower bars in 7/8." They offer Clubman, Euro (my choice) Daytona, Superbike, GP Touring, drag bars, etc. A lot of outlets carry the whole line (Bike Bandit, JC Whitney, Competition Cycle.) You don't have to use motocross bars or the like unless you're REAL partial to the bend. Take a look at the head on and tail on comparison shots in my gallery (they were taken as turn signal comparison shots) BOTH of my Secas have the "Euro" bend.

7. protomillenium

protomillenium Member

I have clubman bars on two bikes, and superbike bars an two others. Both styles are comfortable. However (WARNING) both are low enough to allow the grips to touch the tank.
    It's all about taste and choice.

8. rit69

rit69 New Member

I just put a "euro" style on my bike from jc whitney. You will run into issues with master cyclinder and mirrors, since they were set up for the buckhorn style bars. Len helped me with replacing these parts to work with the flatter bars.

9. Tman_74

Tman_74 Member

rit69, do you have any pics, and what master did you use and what mirrors???

10. rit69

rit69 New Member

Hey tman, I'll try and get some updated pics in the next couple days. I am very happy with the looks of the flatter bars. I've got the part numbers at my house for the master cylinder and the bracket for the left mirror. Will get those for you also. Or you can send Len/Charcol a pm and he can help you out. The issue with the mirrors is that the inserts where they screw in are angled to fit with the buckhorn bars. So your mirrors end up drastically angled in. The new master cylinder and left hand perch have 90 degree inserts so your existing mirrors will work with the flatter bars.

11. rit69

rit69 New Member

Sorry, it's Len/Chacal not charcol

12. Tman_74

Tman_74 Member

I have seen a few pics of mirrors on the end of the bars. Has anyone ridden with those? Do they work OK? The factory mirrors are too high, i like the cleaner look???

13. alaskazzr

alaskazzr Member

Here are some pics of my new bars on my 650 Maxim for referrence.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Those are with stock mirrors and the stock master cylinder. As long as you keep a good level in the master cylinder it shouldn't be a problem. Also, I can see past my shoulders fine with the mirrors the way they are.

14. WesleyJN1975

WesleyJN1975 Member

AlaskaZZR,
    What bars are those? Where did you get them? Did you have to shorten/lengthen the cables or brake lines or where any other mods needed? Thanks.

Wesley

15. danno

danno Member

I swapped out the stock buckhorns on one of my XJs for Daytona Touring bars. They are a bit of a compromise between drag bars and the stock bars.I found them to be much more comfortable than the stock bars.

Attached Files:

16. alkasmeltzer

alkasmeltzer Member

Tman, I had the mirrors on the end of the handlebars on an 81 CB750F Super sport I had in the late 80's. I had no problem withthem. visibility was great as the were farther out than my shoulders. I have thought of doing this with my Maxim, but I am gonna keep it just the way Dad left it to me.

17. bigfitz52

Bar end mirrors are cool but I found they take some getting used to. I tried them for a while on of my SRs; what I found was that the mirrors were far enough out of my field of vision to make it a bit of a distraction to take my eyes OFF the road ahead to check the mirrors. I'm used to having the mirror be right at the edge of my peripheral vision so it doesn't take but a quick glance and anything unexpected that appears from behind will catch my attention. This may be exacerbated by the fact that I'm tall, so my field of vision is father above the bars than for some.

I put longer/wider than stock mirrors on the '83 because with the stock mirrors and low bars I get a real good view of my shoulders. My daughter doesn't have the problem with the same bars and stock mirrors on the other Seca.

Master cylinder angle isn't an issue with the Seca 550s.

18. protomillenium

protomillenium Member

I'm with Fitz, every point he made I agree.
    I have the short stem, rectangular sport mirrors on my 750SECA, all I can see is my arms. The solution is to move the mirrors outward and, or upward for a better angle.
    I came up with two ways to do that:
    First, prepare a flat piece of aluminum or steel about 4" long, drill a bolt hole at each end, bolt one end in place of the mirror to the grip, bolt the mirror to the other end, this will move the mirror outward. Only problem is I could never find a revers threaded bolt for the right side, (Yamaha :cry: ).
    The other way is to cut the mirror stem in half and insert the ends into a 5" steel tube that has an internal diameter just big enough to fit, and glue. This way will work because I found some steel tube that's the right size. :eek:

19. bigfitz52

I bought a set of Yamaha-pattern EMGO aftermarket mirrors that are the LONG stalk rectangular sport mirrors and they solved the problem.

You can see the difference -- only about 2"-3" but might as well be two feet.
    The long mirrors are on the bike on the left. This was a turn signal comparo photo sorry they got cropped a bit...

[​IMG]

20. alaskazzr

alaskazzr Member

I bought them on ebay for like $25.00. They were labeled as Buell M2 Cyclone 7/8" Drag Bars.

I did not have to adjust my cable length or brake hose lengths. That being said, when I installed them, I took off the tank, and removed the cables from the choke perch, the throttle, and the clutch, and re-routed them so that they had plenty of play.