1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Maintaining condition of intake boots

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by nevpat, Jul 14, 2020.

1. nevpat

nevpat New Member

Hello, Since this virus showed up, I have been doing house work and now it looks like our governor wants to possibly shut us down again. Depending on whether this happens or not and what a second stimulus package looks like, I am going to dedicate this time to getting my 82 650 maxim started. I have been talking to local shops about rebuilding the carbs, but what I need to know is if anyone has any suggestions on maintaining the rubber boots until this happens. I live in the desert and it is out of the sun but the dry hot weather can dry them out if they aren't ruined already. I was thinking about vaseline inside and out. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks.

2. JCH

JCH Active Member

Silicone grease is best to prolong the life of rubber parts,but it also attracts dirt. You can also use the spray but i don't think that it has the lasting affect.

Welcome to the site...

nevpat likes this.
  3. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

look up "self sealing silicone tape" on amazon, that will fix up the intakes just about forever

nevpat likes this.