1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

making a bobber

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by RiceBiker, May 21, 2014.

1. RiceBiker

RiceBiker Member

'82 XJ650 Maxim, going with a bobber change out. Cut off the seat support and bought a welder. :twisted:
    Should I weld the swingarm in a fixed position so it gives more frame stability?

2. UK550Maxim

UK550Maxim Member

There are examples of soft tail bobbers out there too.... are you sure you want to loose the rear suspension?

3. JPaganel

JPaganel Well-Known Member

How would it give it more stability? A hardtail will bounce on bumps more, and, if anything, be less stable.

Suspensions were invented for a reason, and it's not just comfort. Race bikes aren't meant to be particularly comfortable, but try and find a modern one with a hardtail.

Near as I can tell, hardtails are pretty much a fashion statement that reduces functionality, unless you are modifying the frame so heavily that the original suspension cannot work at all.

4. Corrupt_Reverend

Corrupt_Reverend Member

Depending on how liberal you were with the chopping, you might want to weld in a new left/right frame tie in. Maybe do some gussets at key points if you're really worried about it.

Don't weld the swingarm though! Even if you hard-tail it, I don't think there's really any reason to weld the swingarm in position. I could be wrong though, I'm not very well versed in the ins and outs of hardtails.

5. RiceBiker

RiceBiker Member

Oh yes this is totally just for looks. I would never ruin an old Gpz or Z1r or even a CB Honda or Seca, but a shaft drive Maxim? Come on. The first thing I did was get rid of those Schwinn handlebars. I don't see any point in beefing up the engine or suspension in this old bike when a modern mid size sport bike could leave it in the dust. On one wheel.

6. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

properly set up it will do what it was designed and built to do. that's all I expect. in most cases whichever street bike a rider may have there is another out there that can dust it. gotta be satisfied with what you have. I agree the stock handlebars are ugly. question....why did you buy the old slow shaftie instead of a mid-sized sports bike?

Gary

7. patrickw

patrickw New Member

After getting mine properly tuned it gets up and goes great. I wouldn't personally make a bobber but I like to look at them. I find some good bumps down here in Mississippi and my suspension helps me stay helmet side up.

8. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

I haven't been left in the dust yet.

9. RiceBiker

RiceBiker Member

This old Maxim was given to me some years back. Its been garaged since 2005. Before that a female had it. She rode it until it stopped running for fuel flow reasons, she then parked it outside for months and started getting tickets. She was relieved that I took it. With its stock styling, the Maxim reminds me of my first bike. A Kawasaki LTD 440. The 440 would run until it got to a certain temperature then cutoff. In those days, I brought it to the shop, or a mechanic, etc. They changed starter clutch, drilled holes in carbs, filter, checked fuel flow, checked spark. Lookng back, it was prolly pickup coil, but I digress.
    I really like the rat-rod look. A lot of the cosmetics I'm doing to this bike are just going to be time, elbow grease. With the exception of a few new lights and instrument cluster, paint.

10. RiceBiker

RiceBiker Member

Yes, a tie in was a great suggestion. Thanks.
    Picked up a universal fender. I'll cut it down a bit. I'm using the original front fender, but it'll be cut down also. I noticed the built in fork brace.

11. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Me either. The rider > the bike.

12. jesse8931

jesse8931 Member

While I love my maxim there is no way that the best running maxim is gonna hang with a modern bike like cbr600 r6 etc.

13. k-moe

I agree, given that a Max is a cruiser. However, there is a Gold Wing that will give a sport bike a good run.

http://youtu.be/VCWy-sVCaJY

:)

14. jesse8931

jesse8931 Member

I prefer this goldwing
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmCnS69QdDw

15. k-moe

Ya! Randakk does some amazing work. I nearly bought a GL1000 because of that video.

16. jesse8931

jesse8931 Member

I had to sell my vintage honda's he was getting to much of my money lol

17. RiceBiker

RiceBiker Member