1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Master cyliner screws 1 - Kroil 0

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by HalfCentury, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Kalikiano Kalei

Kalikiano Kalei New Member

Both excellent ideas, Franz, that may well help in future scenarios dealing with this sort of problem. My problem was (as remarked earlier) fortunately solved late this PM through the use of a friend's extra 'torquey' grip and a reapplication of that screw extractor I mentioned. Sometimes it takes two to deal with a poser like this, I've found. I do have a Dremmel tool, as well as an impact driver (but lack a small enough Philips bit to do the job, regrettably) and had contemplated trying to use it, but the screws are maddeningly situated just inside and below the right-side lip of the handlebar-attached windscreen, making it necessary to remove the screen before getting a straight vertical shot on the screw-heads (with clearance enough for the impact driver). I was about to do just that (not really enjoying the extra complications involved) when w finally were able to get the screw out. All's well that ends well, I guess!

My Kawa ZX-900R Ninja (named 'Fugu', since like the liver of the Puffer Fish, it can kill you stone cold dead in exactly 2.65 seconds!:p) is a much newer bike (2000), with its 'modern' screw-on cap master cylinder brake reservoirs. The older Yammy bikes with their XJ style reservoirs do tend to be problematic with occasional 'frozen screw' problems such as I had. I seem to recall I had exactly the same screw problem with my 1982 XJ750, some years back (wish I still had that bike...I loved it!).

Franz likes this.
  2. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

We have all been there with a stuck component and another try fixes it. Fugi is fast but it's the other road users we have to watch too especially the mobile phone users. Good you got the bike sorted. All the best.

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

remember to put some anti size on those screws the nickle type not the copper type. service your fluid every year as you should to remove water from fluid.
    Chacal sells allen head screws for the mc. thats what I replace the oem screws.