1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Minor Oil Leak

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by minnMaxim, May 24, 2011.

1. minnMaxim

minnMaxim Member

I have a minor oil leak on the right side of my engine, in the top part of the cooling fins on the side, and below the exhaust in the front. I just noticed it when I was trying to clean my bike.

There is no performance difference at all and it is not dripping it is really just damp. I did change the oil a couple of months ago, but I don't think that I put to much in.

The bike is a 1997 Yamaha Seca II XJ 600 with 8200 miles on it. It can't be the head gasket can it?

2. cds1984

cds1984 Active Member

Hi Minn,

Good trick is to degrease and dry the front of the engine... then when you start it and get it warmed up or hot you 'should' be able to locate the leaking point of origin! If it leaks a lot that is.

The thing is, if you go for a ride to warm it up the oil will just end up all over the place and you'll be back where you started so... warm it up on the stand.

Good luck! Hopefully it's not the head gasket!

3. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

More likely just the valve cover gasket. The Seca II has a gasket similar in design to the YICS-motored XJs, but with fewer hold-down points. Once they dry out they're no different than a "dead" YICS-XJ gasket; a new gasket and "donuts" on the bolts will likely fix it.

4. minnMaxim

minnMaxim Member

Definitely leaking much lower then the valve cover gaskets. Almost definate it is the head gasket. How long can I leave it like this? Also how much labor am I looking at to do it? Can a garage amuetar like me do?

5. Maxim-X

Maxim-X Well-Known Member

What is the history on the bike? Have you had it since day 1, or aquired it just recently? Do you still have any contact with the previous owner? It's possible but only slightly that maybe re-torquing the head bolts could solve the problem before you go tearing the top end apart. That's why I suggest contacting the P.O. to see if he had any work done on the bike.
    Just sayin'.

6. minnMaxim

minnMaxim Member

I got the bike from a rich guy who had let the bike sit for several years. I got the bike last year with only 5000 miles on it and it is a 97. I believe he had the bike since new and the only thing that he did was let the bike sink into the pavement once.

As far as maintainance all the bike got was the carbs rebuilt and the tank lined before I got the bike last year.

7. Maxim-X

OK, if it's just a light "misting" of oil then I would ride it for the rest of the season and just keep an eye on whether it's getting worse and watch the oil level. Too much oil will not cause the head gasket to leak more.
    Changing a head gasket is not something I personally would recommend to a novice, but hey, we all have to start somewhere.
    Now, from the history that you just supplied I'd go through the usual stuff that previously owned bikes should be subject to, don't go by feel even after 3200 miles. New brake fluid and front line, rear line inspection, tires- check the date codes.
    There is a list on here but can't remember the link, anyone???
    Oh, and pictures would be nice if you know how.
    Enjoy the bike and ride safe!

8. snooker

snooker New Member

I'm not sure where the oil filter is located on your bike. You said you just changed your oil. I assume the filter, too. If the filter is not seated properly or torqued to spec, it might leak. It may only be leaking when under pressure when you're riding. Just a few drops blown back against the fins while you're riding would mist the front and give the appearance of a gasket leak.

9. bigfitz52

Quite often a valve cover leak goes down the inside "galleries" and makes its way out through the passages in the casting adjacent to the exhaust ports, making you think it's the head gasket. Take a close look at the top of the motor.

10. minnMaxim

minnMaxim Member

I uploaded a oilly picture in the gallery. This is the only way I knew to post a pic.

11. headhunter1213

headhunter1213 Member

My 81 is doin the exact same thing. But it leaks enough to show on the fins all arund the motor and its not above where the jugs meets the head(made sure) so Im just gonna watch oil and ride it till this winter. Then out comes my inner frankenstien and I will create the ohio sleeper. I want to be able to eat an r6 at least.ambitious?yes. Do I care?no

12. Maxim-X

The best way to pass an R6 on your bike without major mods would be to see one heading South while you're heading North! :roll: :roll:
    :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

13. headhunter1213

headhunter1213 Member

Ohh major mods will be happening this winter. My head gasket is leaking oil so this winter the machine shop, this site, and either the junkyard or a specialized part place for internal parts. Im thinking of overboring, Bigger carbs somehow or possibly fuel injected, forged rods and pistons as well. Im not afraid to spend a lot of cash on this bike to make it happen. Thats whats nice about being 18 with no kids and still living at home having the government and scholarships pay for schooling. I do believe the old saying about the correlation between your vehicles power and the cash in your wallet holds true here. I wonder where I can get a set of aftermarket cams or a set of blanks I can have machined at.

14. MaximumX

MaximumX Member

Instead of over-boring, why don't you just swap in a 750 motor? Or even a 900, with a little work?

Or take all that cash in your wallet and buy yourself an R6... :roll:

15. bigfitz52

Yeah I was gonna say good luck finding "hyper-performance" engine parts like forged rods, etc., for an XJ650 motor.

The R6 has a power-to-weight ratio that the shaft-driven XJ will never get close to; you'd get closer dropping an FZ600 or Radian motor into a 550.

16. Maxim-X

Maybe, and this is just a slim chance. But check out any sites for the guys that do the world speed records. I'm not poking fun and making jokes here, some of those guys can make bikes go seriously fast! I know it's over a long distance and in a straight line, but maybe you can use some of there tech to aid you in getting the most power out of you bike. I don't even know if anyone uses your type of bike, but there may be something there you can McGiver onto your ride. Just sayin'
    Keep us posted on how things go, it should be an interesting project to watch.
    Good luck!