1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Modification of xj900f 1990 - by a complete novice

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Q007, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Q007

Q007 New Member

Hi everyone I'm David from Lancashire, England. I'm new here.

I was given this bike by my good old Dad who had given up riding when he picked it up - his arthritis was way too bad to ride safely so he bought it cheap in case he dropped it in the street. Anyway, he never ended up riding it (only to the MOT center) and it sat outside for 4 years just going to waste. I already have a big Honda as a daily runner but I thought I'd like another to mess about on. I've only ridden the XJ once - back from a recent MOT - and I didn't like it - felt wobbly and weird - although the tyres are old and I think the front one is about 10 years - dry rotting a bit. I then decided I didn't like the look of all the fairings, so I took off the front first - and took this picture.

[​IMG]

Can of worms opened, I decided "in for a penny," and started imagining what it could look like with a bit of imagination. Now, I don't really have much imagination - and absolutely no affinity for mechanics - although I have changed oil and cleaned calipers and such. So I honestly think this will be a long long project and one that possibly I won't finish due to not having the skills. I've joined here so I can hopefully pick up what I need and meet other people doing the same kind of thing.

So, anyway I've had the motor going, running not bad just missing a little. I've stripped her down further...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

and I've sent the swing arm off for powder coating - I found a load of rust right underneath.

I had to de-rust the inside of the tank - it was a mess. Far worse than the outside - which I've yet to decide what to do with.

I'm thinking about taking the engine out but my Dad is really trying to put me off - telling me it's too big a job. I want to do it so I can get the frame powder coated and also so I can really get to work cleaning off the old flakey black engine paint so I can do a proper job. He's got me worrying that I'll never be able to put it back together, especially with the electrics.

I do not know if I want to bob, chop or cafe or street-fighter it. And even when I do decide... I've never done anything like this before so if I ask any dumb questions please give me some slack.

Thanks for looking and any comments, jokes and ramblings welcome.

I'll post pics to thread as it goes along.

2. RobbieRobot

RobbieRobot Member

Welcome Dave. I have been inspired by this

http://motorivista.com/yamaha-xj900/

to build an XJ650 Café Racer which I am now about three quarters of the way through after 4 months. I have had the frame, wheels and swing arm powder coated and have sand blasted/re-sprayed the engine silver after an extensive re-build. I will be posting photos soon. Best of luck with your project, whichever way you decide to go. You've come to the right place for technical info.

3. jmilliken

jmilliken Well-Known Member

you got a good start! But please stop riding on those tires! You got plenty of help here if and when you need it!

4. Q007

Q007 New Member

[​IMG]

Very pleased I took the plunge as I wouldn't have ever been happy thinking of the rusty frame underneath.

The engine was not for coming out though. Took a big brother in law to help me shake the frame on the lawn and still it took half an hour. I am not attempting to re-install that engine into my freshly PCd frame - I'm going to get a local mechanic to do it. All this trouble to chip the coating? No way.

Robbie - Hi there and I liked your thread on your bike very much.

j- yeah I feel that since the bike ran that i did have a good start. See the pic above - I definitely have stopped riding on the tyres.

Thanks both - will be cutting bits and bobs off the frame next - when I have ascertained which ones. Posting soon.

5. Q007

Q007 New Member

It occurred to me that I need to have a dry run of the build in order to know where I may have to do welds and to fully determine which tabs are necessary and which definitely aren't BEFORE I get the frame powder coated. (I should have paid more attention before I dismantled it.) I did, however, manage to grind off metal from a few places.

[​IMG]

I do not know where to chop the back end yet - I need inspiration.
    In this pic, see that the swing arm has been powder coated, the drive had been completely rubbed down ready for painting - and I was testing out silver wheel paint on the strut. Was thinking of black PC'd springs over the silver.
    [​IMG]

Must check my earlier photos to see what the tabs are in this pic (marked with yellow rings and an arrow) so I can mark for cutting or not. Additionally, I'm thinking of taking the center stand mounts off.

[​IMG]

This pic - The arrows. The tank mount - do the different tanks that are available on this bike have the same mount? And the seat mount - I guess that since I'm going for custom seat, this can come off?

[​IMG]

I don't know if I like this tank or not. As soon as I think I like it - I can see that it will cause me problems with it's slope down into the stock seat. The silhouette lines against the engine dip down - meaning I don't know what I'd do with the seat to match those lines.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally in this post, a view of the back end (arrrghh I don't like those handlebars) - and a stock seat pic showing the original lines I guess. If I place a cowl where the rear seat was, I'll be looking at this height and the point at where it ends. I don't see the need to have the sub-frame end so far out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Q007

Q007 New Member

Re: Need a petcock for this tank.

Tank popped up on ebay and I like it better than the original - description said it was from an XJ750... Need to buy a petcock for it but there is some confusion about the model of the bike it came off - the seller doesn't know if it's a maxim or a seca. Thanks

[​IMG]

I did order a fuel cap for it based on something I read here on the forum - I'm sure it'll be right.

7. Q007

Q007 New Member

Broke my tablet so can't take pics until I get a new one.

Have been working hard and long on the engine - now 85% stripped of old paint and flakey rusty stuff. Used a dremel type hand tool and lots of little grinders and such. Having to get creative with tools to get right down into the deep fins across the top and front of the engine. Going to try a bit of wire rope in the drill although it will probably fray?

Have snapped a little wire on the bottom of the engine - it was bent and degraded anyway. It's a blue wire and comes from an indented space at the bottom of the gear selecter. I assume it is for the neutral light. It joins the wiring from the generator?? cover and oil sender?? but most of the wiring cover is melted and very brittle.

Bought new carb to engine boots online today as one was cracked. Might as well have all new I thought.

8. Q007

Q007 New Member

[​IMG]

Asked my Dad if he could make me a one piece after seat rear end with a kick in it. He said no. But he came home from work with this and I was surprised. I was about to draw something very similar and take it to a fabricating place. It's two pieces welded and he said it wasn't perfect - it's actually too long by half. It's about as long as the bit I chopped off. Anyway, I'm gonna cut down the open ends, try and retain the kick - and have it welded on for me. I'd like to have a go welding it but I guess I should leave it to someone with more experience than I.

9. kinen1

kinen1 Member

Q007,

how r u getting along on this project?

kinen1

10. BaldWonder

BaldWonder Innocent Bystander

You've probably figured it out by now, but that's a SECA tank; they have the cut-outs for the knee to help it be more racer-styled. The MAXIMs are more like a classic cruiser. Kinen1, thanks for the bump. Let's hope he posts more on this.

11. GEHIV

GEHIV Member

I like the shinny drive unit, I would not paint it at all

12. Heyitsme

Heyitsme Member

13. 750E-II_29Rbloke

750E-II_29Rbloke Active Member

Exactly what I was going to say too, polished pumpkin FTW. Never seen that before either. Hope you're still around here & getting along with the bike OK?