1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Modify Air Box?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by FreddyDynomite, May 23, 2020.

1. FreddyDynomite

FreddyDynomite New Member

Hello all, I am building a cafe racer style Maxim 650 and of course wanted to use pod filters, but after reading so much negative about them here, I am considering other options. I want the area under the seat clear, so what if I cut the filter area out of the air box, enlarge the hold a bit and put in a flat car style filter? Basically retain the air box characteristics but get rid of the part that protrudes under the seat.

The other option would be to make a custom air box like the ones at Steel Dragon Performance (http://www.steeldragonperformance.com/air_boxes_7.html) From what I have read, the major problem with pods is the turbulent air and that the carbs don't share from the same pocket of air, could this be a better solution than pods?

2. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

I think you should watch the video that's in the sticky post about pods.

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

sounds better than no airbox.
    the airbox to carb boots act as a velocity stack .
    you would be looking for the same amount of paper serface area in the flat filter so not to big of a filter. if you could enclose the filter you would want the same size opening as the airbox has to feed filter

there are a set of filters sold by the pod people thata cover 2 carbs each would be similar to your link

4. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

I put a set of Mikunis fron an xj600 (fj600 in the states?) straight onto my xj650. Runs like a dream, no stumbles, no rejecting. I'm not saying it's perfect, I haven't done any wideband lambda checks or plug cuts yet, but it rides beautifully.
    The problem is they are slightly bigger, and while they do fit, they stretch the manifolds slightly. I machined mine down to match the Hitachis.
    If you really want pods, I wouldn't recommend the cheap chinese ones, go to K&Ns at least, and tidy up the inside of the flange face with a sharp knife.