1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

mods to exhaust

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by harmsxiii, Jan 19, 2013.

1. harmsxiii

harmsxiii New Member

what do you guys suggest to make my stock 82 xj 750 very loud and what mods to the exhaust to make the tone deep and throating do not want cackling though ...

2. Maxim-X

Maxim-X Well-Known Member

Well, if the cans are still nice buy a set of cheap straight throughs and re-jet your carbs, then once you get fed up with trying to tune the bike to run with the noisy exhaust you can put the stock jetting back in along with the original cans! :wink: :wink:
    Really though, if you drill out the back of the exhaust and pull the baffle it will be loud, but you may run into a "lean" condition in the carbs that may shorten the life of the engine if you don't re-jet.

3. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

You will never get a deep tone(like a V-Twin) from a transverse 4 engine.

4. MiGhost

MiGhost Well-Known Member

Lower 48 in general. Otherwise Central Mitten.
    Once you unbolt the 8 headpipe nuts, 1 collector mount bolt, and 2 muffler mount bolts. The bike will be as loud as you will ever be able to get it. Maybe then it will finally save a life. As the bike will be too loud to be ridable in the first place.

As far as getting that deep, low speed, throaty v-twin sound from an inline. Not going to happen with a high reving XJ.

Ghost

5. Mad_Bohemian

Mad_Bohemian Active Member

6. burger

burger Member

just take your mufflers off. mine surprisingly came off with little persuasion. if you dont like it bolt them back on.

7. ElkHavenSeca

ElkHavenSeca Active Member

MY first seca bought new in 1981 had a 4 into 1 kerker exhaust with several repackable baffles it gave it amazing sound from that tuned header. Wish they still made them . If they did my stock exhaust would be listed here for sale . its in great shape

8. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

My approach for a deep tone would be - run the stock header/collector, add 2 or 3 inch diameter pipes close to 3 feet long, the front 1 foot is packed with fiberglass like a glasspack to absorb the high-end notes and should keep you "legal".

It still won't sound like a Harley.