1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

mono shock on xj650 idea...thoughts?

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by KERST4LIFE, Feb 21, 2012.

1. KERST4LIFE

KERST4LIFE Member

:idea: I have been kicking around the idea like many others about a mono shock on a shafty and like many others I look at the virago swing arm and think it can be done. Now In my research I understand that a virago swinger doesnt just bolt up to an xj. Has anyone tried to cut the shock mount off of a virago swinger to weld onto an xj swingin arm? I figure the only problem you run into is where the hell you would mount the shock inside the frame of the xj? What kind of shock would you use? Realizing that you would need a relatively short shock without a resavoir, or a remote mount rez it may give a pretty crappy ride but a very cool look overall. Lets face it thats why we modify these bikes is to make them look unique. The other issues I found would be the mounting of the battery, if placed basicly on the trans in front of the bottom rail it may work but then your running a smoking hot battery. Or you spend the big bux on a gel and mount it practically flat ( I like this idea, but not the idea of spending all that dough). Is there a small realatively cheap battery out there that I could use on my 82 xj 650? Any ways I was thinking about buying a virago swinger to test my theory but am worried that I will never finish my bike if I keep coming up with new ideas. I got my bike running great on pods (who would have thought) and right now im minimizing the wires so if I were to run with this Idea I would like to make my wiring match what I will have. But I would also like to have my bike finished by spring. so to sum this up here are my following questions:

Has anyone tried to cut the shock mount off of a virago swinger to weld onto an xj swingin arm?

If so please post pictures or your results!

Any ideas of what kind of short shock I could use for this?

Is there a small realatively cheap gel battery out there that I could use on my 82 xj 650?

Thanks,

Kerst

2. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

This mod's been done, can't remember who, I always thought hiding the battery under the swingarm would be pretty cool - at least different.

Why is it a swing "ARM" and a fork "LEG" ?? Are the bikes backwards?? 8O

3. KERST4LIFE

KERST4LIFE Member

I saw a 550 chain drive with a mono shock but have not seen the shafty... and thats because your sitting on her face! actually I believe its because orf the orientation of the part being the legs are vertical and the arm is horizontal...

4. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

link
    i run 2 sla1270 in parallel in mine, they fit in the stock battery box on a 750 seca

5. KERST4LIFE

KERST4LIFE Member

what are the dims on one of these units?