1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Motorcycle Jack/Lift question

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by clients, Jul 18, 2009.

1. clients

clients New Member

So I was sitting at home and my friend gave me a call telling me Canadian Tire had a motorcycle lift/jack on sale for 1/2 price ($60) Motorcycle Jack. Having a Canadian tire within spitting distance of my house, I popped over, brought it home and set it up.

Didn't even cross my mind that the exaust goes right under the frame untill i went to try it out. So I was going to return it, but jumped on here just to see if there was anything I could do to salvage it and found this post:

http://www.xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/p=113173.html#113173

I don't like the idea of jacking up the bike with the exaust holding the bike up or am I being to cautious and it should be fine.

2. skeeter

skeeter Member

i wouldn't jack the bike up using the exhaust. maybe you can strategically place some wood blocks on the jack to get around the exhaust?

3. kjohnson

kjohnson Member

i use blocks of wood with mine, which happens to be from canadian tire as well

4. clients

clients New Member

Blocks of wood? Where do you have the wood butt up against the frame? I could see how i could get a piece of wood to lift up where the centre stand is attached, but near the front, I can't see anywhere which I could use to lift the bike besides from the exaust and the oil filter cover

5. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Member

Return it lol. You're going to end up having to take off the exhaust every time you need to lift it, using wood blocks could be dangerous...

6. clients

clients New Member

I think I will probably end up doing that. I really liked the idea of having the lift, but i think it will be back to canadian tire :(.

How do you guys put the bike up in order to say change the front brakes, or remove the forks?

7. Motavator

Motavator Member

Most would not agree but I use my motorcycle jack all the time with no Ill effects, Changed the head bearings, 2 New tires etc. Never had a problem with the exhaust pipes. I put the bike on the center stand and place the jack in front of the stand and jack it up.

8. skeeter

skeeter Member

i have crash bars that i use to jack up one side and put wooden blocks under the other side.

9. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

I picked up a motorcycle lift table from Harbor Freight. It works great.

MN

10. clients

clients New Member

How are you jacking up the bike? Right on the exausts?

11. wamaxim

wamaxim Active Member

This is not my bike nor is it my lift but Harbor Freight's 1000 lb lift can be had for around $300. Wait til it goes on sale and then get a 20%off coupon.

My bike weighs 854 lbs so I went with the fully pneumatic 1200 lb lift and paid around $400 for it.

Once you have used one of these you will never be without one.

12. baz666

baz666 Member

Are you talking about the the jack that has the bike sit on a platform on its center stand? It also has a section that pulls out so you can remove the front wheel? Is this the one you mean?
    The other type, with the two rubber-covered arms that go under the bike, is kind of useless. You have to remove the exhaust system and put the arms under the crankcase (carefully). Otherwise the whole weight of the bike is on the exhaust headers under the bike.
    I bought one of these useless type of jacks about a year ago for $109.99. Yesterday I saw them on sale for $59.99. Boy, do I feel like a sucker.