1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Moving rear turn signals on '82 XJ650RJ

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by geebake, Apr 27, 2006.

1. geebake

geebake Member

I would really like to add a set of saddle bags to my RJ. In fact, I bought a set that works out pretty well. The only problem is that the rear turn signals force the bags to be farther forward than is comfortable. I was thinking of remounting the turn signals on the bracket that the lisence plate mounts to. Anyone have any thoughts on this matter? I beleive the signals would be an inch or so closer together. Other than that, I can't forsee any problems. Has anyone else come across this situation. Are there any more creative solutions?

Thanks,

Greg

2. Robert

Robert Active Member

I have the same issue with my ChaseHarper bags. I just live with it and don't have a passenger when I use them.

3. jasonlion54

jasonlion54 Member

Geebake,

I have done exactly that. Took the signals off, drilled holes in the sides of the license plate brackets, and remounted the signals there. You'll have to get some wire to extend the wires under the seat. I used speaker wire and splice it in. Everything works great. I'll post some pics if you want.

What kind of saddlebags did you pick up?

4. geebake

geebake Member

Thanks for the reassurance Jason. I assumed it would work. My only fear was that the lisence bracket might not be strong enough. I'd love to see pics of your bike if you can post them.

I'm not sure of the model of bags I got. I will check tonight and let you know.

Greg

5. geebake

geebake Member

6. geebake

geebake Member

Pics added. Awaiting admin approval.