1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Mr Mirth's '82 Maxim 550J

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by MrMirth, Feb 25, 2014.

1. MrMirth

MrMirth New Member

Hi!
    I posted in the "How did you get here?" thread but wanted one of my own where I can share progress...

The only bike I've ever owned, I bought it in '90 for $700 and rode it during and after university. I moved away and left it with a friend some 16yrs ago who kept it in his basement for most of that time. Not quite 2yrs ago he delivered it to my parents' home (I'm 3hrs away) and thanked me for letting him store it all those years. Ha! It sat outside beneath a tarp (most the time) at my parents' until early January when I was able to get it home and under roof. The last couple of years have taken their toll while it hasn't been started since '98.
    It's a project, to be sure, and this place will no doubt serve as an important resource.

http://i.imgur.com/qewJY7Y.jpg

(a link is better than that oversized picture!)

Cheers!

2. pjk_xj700

pjk_xj700 Member

Wow, that's a lot to work on. I surely hope you have patience and understanding =).

I'd be interested to hear how it's progressing, so keep us informed.

and, best of luck nothing is too far gone.

3. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

It got hit in the rear just hard enough to make it cool looking ?? - !!

Or are my eyes going bad ??

Welcome to the site !!

4. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

Times right, the back end took a hit, it's WAY too high

5. MarkV

MarkV Member

wow, best of luck to you man. At least your starting a good location. Mine sat for 12 years in a garage. With some time and patience shes safe, clean, and quite a runner. Welcome aboard, keep us posted.

6. MrMirth

MrMirth New Member

Hi all, and thanks for the welcome!

The tank and seat are simply resting atop the bike in the photo; it was never rear ended.

Actually, the bike is in much better shape than the photo suggests and is cleaning up nicely. Thus far I've cleaned and rebuilt the petcock (missing the filter), gas cap, front brakes and am presently removing rust from inside the tank (cider vinegar works!). Rear brakes and sprockets are next.

I'm awaiting a new service manual (buddy lost it) before I get into the engine
    and carbs. The carbs were removed and cleaned about 10yrs ago and have never had fuel in them since. I'm anxious to see how they look inside.

Will keep you updated..

Cheers!