1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Mufflers - XJ550RH

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by OldSchoolOtter, Jul 20, 2011.

1. OldSchoolOtter

OldSchoolOtter Member

Does anyone know if these JP Cycles - Universal Megaphone Muffler are similar to the stock XJ550RH Seca mufflers and if they will fit or would they require modifications? Also, would putting these on require re-jetting?

or

Do you happen to know where I can get a set of good stock ones?

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Close; they don't have the "kink" though.

They will probably fit although maybe not like you hoped for, and probably won't force a re-jet. Generally speaking, as long as you don't muck with the collector box you won't need to rejet.

A company called JAMA makes aftermarket "pattern" pipes for our bikes; however their US distributorship is very weak bordering on non-existent; and they're not cheap.

eBay. There's an NOS left side muffler up right now, $100.

Salvage yards.

or stay on top of the "newly listed" XJ stuff on eBay; and as soon as 550 Seca parts from a new seller start to appear, contact the guy and see if he has the mufflers but hasn't listed them yet. (I got a set this way.) People are often quite willing to deal "off eBay" for something they don't have listed, to avoid fees.

You can also use this method for auctions that ended without bidders; it's how I got my luggage rack.

Good luck. 550 Seca mufflers are almost as hard to find as 550 Seca RH sidecovers.