1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

My bike just died on me. Help!! Electrical issue (I think)

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by CdnXJRider, Mar 15, 2009.

1. CdnXJRider

CdnXJRider New Member

OK here is my story. My bike was running fine in my garage (while I was trying to figure out my high idling problem). I was sitting on my stool right beside the bike and looking at the carbs (looking not touching) I was doing some serious thinking there. Than all of a sudden the bike stopped cold. I started troubleshooting this new problem. Looking at the wiring diagram I started from the start switch. Real early I noticed my starter solenoid (or starter relay is done). I know this because when I bypass it and connect the starter motor directly to the battery it turns. Then I started thinking how I could bypass the start relay until I get a new one from Chacal (or other). All of a sudden it hit me: the bike DID NOT die all of a sudden from a failed start relay. It looks like a more complicated electrical problem. Right now I am thinking the ignition coils could be the problem. How can I test ignition coils??? I suppose you have to be careful playing with those components because electrical current going to the spark plugs is HIGH CURRENT stuff.

So all of you electrical gurus out there please help. I want to get my bike on the road. I am itching bad.

Thanks in advance.

2. CdnXJRider

CdnXJRider New Member

Re: My bike just died on me. Help!! Electrical issue (I th

Oups!! Just noticed I am in the wrong forum category. It shows my state of mind doesn't it. Sorry for all those looking for the Sell, Trade, Swap, Wanted category.

I promise I won't do it again.

3. Robert

Robert Active Member

Not to worry, I'll transfer it for you.
    Secondly, the coils are not high current devices, they are high voltage.
    Next, you can overhaul your solenoid or you can get a cheap replacement from the parts store, take your pick.
    Last, but certainly not least, have you changed out your fuse block yet?
    90% (I'm making that number up but I'm sure some folks will agree it isn't too far of the mark) of the time this is the culprit.
    Give it a whirl, let us know what you find out.

4. CdnXJRider

CdnXJRider New Member

Thanks Robert for fixing my forum category thing.

Ignition coil: high current versus high voltage. That speaks to my knowledge of those components does it!!!

For the fuse box, do you mean the fuse box which is in between the two guages (the one that contains the lights for neutral, oil, high beam, etc) or do you mean the two 30 AMP fuse under the seat? These are the only fuses that I know of.

Thanks.

5. Robert

Robert Active Member

You own an X don't you? I don't know much about them. I'd venture to say that the X will suffer the same issues as it's older brother the XJs. However, I understand that the X line use the ATO fuses instead of the glass cylinders and aren't as prone to corrosion issues (although I've a 90 FZR that may test that).
    That said, I would encourage you to start with the basics.
    Do you have a spark?
    Compression?
    Fuel flow?
    Let's take it from the top and eliminate the obvious before we delve into the morass of troubleshooting electrical/wiring issues.

6. CdnXJRider

CdnXJRider New Member

My bike is a 1985 XJ700N (so not the X). I did check the two 30 AMP fuse located under the seat. Result: absolutely no sign of corrosion and the fuse are still good. Put them back in and than tried to start. Result: VROUM!!!! right off the first try. Could it be just that even thought the fuse look almost like new? Well I sure hope so. I took it out for a ride and it was just fine, other than the 0oC (or 35oF) which was a little cold on the face and hands, even with gloves on.

I just hope that the bike won't quit on me on a ride while I am 100's of KM away from home. Summer will tell.

Thanks Robert for the help

7. 85MaximXX

85MaximXX Member

ahh 35*F is just fine you need better gloves LOL!! I have been riding mine juse about every day to work(two days of heavy rain last week) fo rthe last two weeks here in MI. But I have a big ol windshield on mine that blackis most of the wind until it gets consistenly warm out then I'll have to take it off it gets too HOT!!.

8. dpawl31

dpawl31 Member

Been riding @ ~20F 45 minute rides every day to work and back for 3 days now :)

9. Robert

Robert Active Member

Yay! Reseating a fuse is a sure sign of either corrosion or of contact spring wear. Get around to replacing the fuse (and if you can swing it, the fuse holder). Use dielectric grease and spring for the waterproof fuse holders!