1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

My exhaust creation.

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by cds1984, Nov 20, 2016.

1. 50gary

50gary Active Member

Very nice.
    Cheers, 50gary

2. cds1984

cds1984 Active Member

I hate to update this.
    But... Turns out it is my shite tuning skills that caused me issues as the new exhaust had the same issue when the ambient temp was 35C plus.

I'm still trying to come to grips with these mikunis, seemed more defined with the 750 and Hitachi's, but that could be rose coloured glasses kicking in also.

Still I have a shiney new exhaust system and a custom backup when it's not shiney anymore.

Shotgun method didn't work out how I wanted.

3. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

You’re fooling yourself my friend. Your issues are nothing to do with your welding, but maybe something to do with your design. However, the answer is mixture, mixture, mixture. Start playing with needles, heights etc. I would suggest weaker, given your issue is appearing when hot.
    Let us know eh?

Franz and cds1984 like this.
  4. cds1984

cds1984 Active Member

Did a factory 2.5 turns out, needles at mid point.
    Same same when it was over 35c ambient.

Then

Bought some new coils from eBay...

35c day and I 'think' it may be solved but I have gone into a state of not believing anything and with all the learning of anything of xjs over the last 10 years, being thrown out the window because of this big, fat, thorn in my side.

I don't want a 40c day but I would appreciate it just to make sure I have finally solved this lunacy.

Still... It's all a bit of fun right?
    Hand me another beer.

5. cds1984

cds1984 Active Member

39C day.
    I sweated, the bike may have sprung an oil leak on the cam cover gasket but... Wait for it... No crazy misfiring and tacho flailing

So... Yeah.

I might put the manufactured exhaust on the other bike, one day, cause I'm not going to mess with this one for awhile.

I replaced the original coils with second hand xjr1300 coils years ago, guess one is failing under heat. In the bin now.

Also replaced all the plug tops and tci with new replacements, way back.

Was close to buying new coils from Len a couple of years ago but... Well enough said.

*sigh*

6. Old5fifty

Old5fifty New Member

Most excellent fabrication! Just wondering if your bike runs leaner now? Have you checked your plugs for color?

7. cds1984

cds1984 Active Member

I wish I could answer that honestly. Way too many alterations before and after to accurately say.
    I've had a lot of trouble with this bike, before and after the exhaust.
    All the issues with the exhaust and running have turned out not to be fully, or at all, associated with it... so yeah.