1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

My First MOD

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by Skot, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Skot

Skot New Member

So last night i got tired of listening to my roommate whine about his 1978 Goldwing. It's the full package, fairings, saddlebags and a trunk. Well the windshield had some pretty bad spider webbing in it. Not cracked just old. It makes it pure hell to ride at night and esp in the rain. And since we live i Washington, it rains alot (today in fact).

So, we decided to cut the windshield down so he could see over it & remove the trunk. We covered the area we wanted in painters tape, then used a compass to get a nice arc. Then using a dremel tool with a good cutting wheel, we attacked it.

I put a couple pics in my gallery.

I think it came out looking much better than before. The bike was kinda blockie and big. Now it has a nice low lean look. What do you think?
    I really like the bell like curve it has now.

2. Joel07

Joel07 Member

I love it! Looks more like a Harley Road King or Street Glide than a Gold Wing now... Good job!

3. cruzmystar

cruzmystar Member

nice work. a good trick for the edge of the new cut on the windshield is carefully sand it down. then get a finger tips worth (on a rag) of methyl ethyl keytone (hardware store) and run your finger down the edge. don't touch the face of the windshield just the edge. it will make that edge look like brand new!!! it chemically melts the plastic down smooth and clear.

4. Altus

Altus Active Member

Or you can just use a heat gun very carefully around the edge - same effect, no potential spills.

5. cruzmystar

cruzmystar Member

didn't know that would work, great idea

6. Ace_Frehley

Ace_Frehley Member

Nice, very harley style!

7. Robert

Robert Active Member

Please note: Methyl Ethyl Keytone (MEK) is a known carcinogen (causes cancer) and should never be handled with bare skin. Use chemically impervious gloves should you decide to take this route. As with all chemicals, one should read and follow the use labels listed on all chemicals. It could mean the difference between a long healthy life or a short miserable one!

8. cruzmystar

cruzmystar Member

uh oh. i always wondered what that lump was from. lol. no, all kidding aside you are absolutely correct. thanks for reminding and educating everyone of that.