1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

My first winter projects

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by burger, Feb 24, 2013.

1. burger

burger Member

Bought my xj700 last spring. This winter i started and have still to finish polishing engine covers, been doing a little here and there. I plan to replace brake lines with stainless steel. And last night i measured all of my valve clearances, only two were off, cylinder one's intake was at .10 and cylinder twos exhaust was at .13. Is there a way to take out the shim without the special tool? Also i read something about a shim pool going on.
    [​IMG]

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Valve clearances (I assume you found this one already) http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=14827.html

You need Part Deux, which explains the alternatives to the tool (and how to get the tool to work) http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=29209.html

You need to replace more than just the brake lines. The caliper and master cylinder seals need to be replaced, they were only supposed to last 2 years.

And get that rear wheel off pronto and check for: http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=15874.html

Member HogFiddles runs a shim pool, PM him for details.

3. burger

burger Member

Thanks, will defiantly get a look at that wheel. Was going to take a look at brakes when i did a rear tire last year but had issues with the axle and brake drum not coming loose so i ended up having it done at a shop and forgot about the brake.

4. burger

burger Member

Are the spark plug boots supposed to pull off of the wires? Because one of mine did. If not, is there a way to replace the wire instead of the entire coil?

5. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Those boots screw onto/into the wires. Slice about 1/4" ~ 3/8" off the end of the wire, and screw the boot back on.

There is a threaded "spike" inside the cap that bores into the center of the wire.

6. burger

burger Member

So finally got the bike running. I decided that before i took the shims out i would remeasure everything, turns out i just such at measuring and everything was good! Got some stuff polished (will post pics once it comes out of storage) and new plugs and a uni air filter. I still plan o doing front brakes sometime this spring but got new shoes on the rear. Now im all ready and will hopefully get the bike out this week.

7. Wirehairs

Wirehairs Member

Welcome to another Minnesotan! Once you have your valve clearances in spec, I suggest do a compression test before you spend a bunch of $ on other things on the off chance your motor has any serious issues.

Looks like a nice bike. :)

8. charly45

charly45 Member

good looking bike! had a 85 3years ago didnt care for the handling.sold hell of a engine thou,and pretty.

9. burger

burger Member

So i will get some pictures up shortly, been busy. This week i got new turn signals and grips. But tonight i had my bike slip into neutral from 3rd gear, this is the second time it has happened, and a few times in 2nd gear last year. This has only ever happened under heavy acceleration, what could cause this? Any simple fixes or test to try out