1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

My XJ650 "Taildragger"

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by swguy270, Oct 19, 2010.

1. swguy270

swguy270 Member

Ok, if I can figure out how to do this (sounds odd coming from an IT guy doesn't it?) I'm going to post a couple of pics of my recently finished "XJ Taildragger".

2. swguy270

swguy270 Member

Ok guys, someone help out the witless IT guy. I can't get my photos to post.

3. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

Pics,pics,pics,pics........ :lol:

4. iwingameover

iwingameover Active Member

500x500 here or IMG tags from photbucket or whatever.

5. swguy270

swguy270 Member

Here we go. This is the "before" pic. This is what the bike looked like when I bought it, except it was wearing the ugliest black paint I've ever seen.

[​IMG]

6. swguy270

swguy270 Member

Here it is after two full weeks of work and about 500 bucks.
    [​IMG]

7. swguy270

swguy270 Member

One big, fat, happy biker!! Can you believe this tiny thing hauls my 6'2" 275lb a$$ around without any difficulty? I'm lovin' it!
    [​IMG]

8. iwingameover

Looks good. That center stand needs to come off for some paint. It was the first thing I saw on the second pic!

9. iwingameover

10. swguy270

swguy270 Member

Yeah it does kind of stand out doesn't it? I just noticed it. That's the good in an objective set of eyeballs.

11. swguy270

swguy270 Member

BTW, the engine cover fasteners are all brand new SS panhead screws. An easy dress-up, but believe it or not one of the more expensive parts of the customizing process. I was expecting them to be made out of gold, based on the price.

12. zombiehouse

zombiehouse Member

The bike is looking really good. Are those the TC Bros forward controls? Where did you get your rear struts?

13. Cmccully04

Cmccully04 Member

Looks great man, although I would probably look for some "sleeker" looking turn signals, witht he freshly cleaned up rear end, the whole biek would benefit from some smaller turn signals, and to get rid of the big "shrek ears". Just my $0.02 though

14. swguy270

swguy270 Member

Yeah, they're TC Bros. Pretty easy set-up, and the quality is superb. They are pricey, but worth it in my opinion. Made the bike a DREAM to ride. The rear struts are off of flea bay for about 30 bucks. They are meant for a HD sportster, so the mounting points will need to be drilled to 12mm, and you will need to do some grinding, based on your application. SLOW grinding; you don't want to get them too hot and cause them to loose any strength. These are cold-rolled, tig welded, and powder coated. Another quality product.

CORRECTION: The mounting studs on the Maxim are actually 14mm, not 12. My mistake. HD uses a 1/2" stud, so you will need to do some drilling.

15. swguy270

swguy270 Member

Next on the list. BTW, everyone's $0.02 is welcomed here.

16. Cmccully04

Cmccully04 Member

I see you painted the engine, what paint and degree paint did you use? how did you prep the engine, it's something I'd really like to do to my bike in the near future.

17. swguy270

swguy270 Member

This was actually really easy. First, I used Rustoleum High Heat. I believe it is rated to 1200* and as far as I know is the best high temp paint available in a rattle can. I stripped the bike down to basically rolling frame and engine, masked everything off, and then gave a healthy coating of Aluma-brite. This strips ALL of the loose dirt and corrosion off of the engine. It will not, however, remove grease. As far as I know, this still has to be done the old-fashioned way with Dawn and elbow grease. Then I stuffed rags into the intake and exhaust ports and went to spraying. After the paint had cured I took a rubber sanding block and polished the fins and valve cover. I started with 80 grit and worked my way up to 320. It was a fun project, but be warned that gasoline will DESTROY your new paint job. Be very careful and use lots of rags when removing/reinstalling your carbs and gas tank.

18. Cmccully04

Cmccully04 Member

thanks, interesting, definetly sounds do-able. thanks for the input.

19. streetbrawler750

streetbrawler750 Member

That looks very nice, I bet people can't tell the work you did that haven't seen the original. Whats the rear fender, harley bob, suzuki, or something else???

20. Cmccully04

Cmccully04 Member

looks like a harley rear fat bob fender to me.