1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Need help with Fuel Level Sensor Gasket

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by vanndrage, Sep 21, 2014.

1. vanndrage

vanndrage New Member

I've got an 82 XJ 750. I am not sure of the proper name for what I need but I have been looking all over for a gasket for the plate that mounts to the gas tank for the fuel sending unit sensor. A part number or link or proper name would be greatly appreciated. Or if anyone has any ideas as to how I can just eliminate this sensor that would also work.

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Send a PM to member Chacal. He has them.

3. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

auto parts stores sell rolls of gasket material, then just wipe some oil on that part of the tank, press the blank gasket stuff on it. now you have a shape, get to cutting. use a paper punch from walmart to make the holes

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I've not had much luck using gasket paper on a fuel tank, but that might just be me and not the paper.

Cork should work though. Which reminds me, I need to cut new gaskets for the brush chipper.

5. fiveofakind

fiveofakind Well-Known Member

Chacal sells the gasket as well as the block off plate if you don't want to use the fuel level sensing unit that fits inside the tank.....

Either way...he has what you need....

6. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

There are also four fuel resistant washers that go with the gasket just like the two on the petcock - Chacal can fix you up on those parts also. I tried making some of those for the petcock mounting screws out of paper gasket material and ended up with a slow seepage of gas through the mounting screws.

Also, eliminating the Fuel Sending Unit will result in a flashing warning light, as the absence of the sending unit creates and open circuit that will fault the FUEL level self check. To eliminate the FUEL level fault, a 150 1/2 watt resistor can be added to the fuel sending main harness mating connector to indicate a level of approximated 1/2 full.