1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Need opinions on a 1978 Hondamatic 400 Hawk

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by GCamp13, Aug 18, 2010.

1. GCamp13

GCamp13 New Member

Pretty good bikes? Hard to get parts for. Any opinions greatly appreciated.

2. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

Re: Need opinions on a 1978 Hindamatic 400 Hawk

Very difficult to get parts for. I had one here for two months while the owner chased down a used stator for it (not available new anymore).

It appears that that engine was made in 78 only, and has very little interchangeable with other models.

3. kirkn

kirkn Member

???

That's not my understanding at all... I always thought the 400s (CB, CM-E, CM-C and CM-A) were VERY interchangeable. Well, transmissions are different, obviously, but otherwise...

Top ends, carbs, electrics, all interchangeable.

Maybe the 78s were one-offs? But, I thought they made the automatic thru the end of that engine's model life - 82 or so?

The automatics are slow, of course. But otherwise, the 400 twins of those years are just fine.

4. Ravenz07

Ravenz07 Member

How much fun can an automatic be? :(

5. schooter

schooter Active Member

ive heard horror stories about parts, as well

6. jeff4995

jeff4995 Member

Have had no issues getting parts for my 81 CB400T. Motor was made from 78 to 81 where it still carried on in 450 form for a couple more years. As Kirkn said motor parts are interchangeable. They did change the carbs in 81. Lots of parts on e-bay engine wise but items for the automatic trans are rarer but still appear on there.

7. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

The ignition system parts were unique for the 78 CB400A.

Having said that, the owner did eventually come up with a stator (which is part of the ignition system) that worked. The stator appeared to be identical except the wiring connectors were wrong and needed to be changed. My guess is that there was another model(s) that used the same stator with a different connector. :roll: He either got lucky or got someone in a bone yard that knew what could be made to work.

BTW, he since upgraded to a Vulcan and the Hondamatic is for sale. It's a very clean specimen. Anyone interested can PM me for contact info.