1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Need some input!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Ground-Hugger, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Ground-Hugger

Ground-Hugger Member

For you gurus. I just finished doing a complete carb rebuild, gas flooded crankcase, and had to drain and replace the oil. Now I would like to relocate the crankcase vent hose from the bottom of the air box to higher up the side of the box to stop flooding the crankcase with gas the next time this happens. Was thinking of using a small diameter ABS elbow. Would this relocation be a problem?
    The carbs on my venture Royal have a overflow system so when a carb has a stuck float valve the gas runs out a hose onto the ground and not into the crankcase!

2. althomas101

althomas101 Member

Did you leave the bike on prime? The vacuum diaphragm in the petcock is there to prevent this from happening. You probably need to rebuild the petcock.

As far as the vent hose goes I can't see why relocating it higher up on the airbox would be an issue. Are you sure the fuel is draining into the airbox and then through the crank vent? I have received a bike that did it from fuel washing past the rings before.

3. Ground-Hugger

Ground-Hugger Member

No not left on prime. I had the bike running for a while when it happened. Float valve stuck open.

4. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

Usually the case fills with gas, from the carbs down through the rings, it doesn't flow backwards down the crank vent.

5. Ground-Hugger

Ground-Hugger Member

It will once it fills the case and the bike is running. You end up with a soaked air filter!!

6. Ground-Hugger

Ground-Hugger Member

When you have a float needle valve stick open the fuel flows up through the main fuel jet then up the main fuel nozzle to the throttle opening. Where it flows from there is a matter of gravity. if the bike is facing uphill it will flow back into the air box. If downhill it will flow into the engine. To say it will only get into the crankcase by flowing into the cylinders is wrong!

7. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Regardless it didn't go "backwards" from the airbox into the crankcase via the vent hose, especially with the motor running.

Moving the vent hose will not do anything to prevent the issue.