1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

need some wiring assistance on a 82 maxim 550

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by mechanicalmadness, May 28, 2012.

1. mechanicalmadness

mechanicalmadness Member

Hi guys and gals. I have a silly little question.
    I have been working on my caffee project for some time now and all thats really left is to upholster the seat and to wire it up. And the wiring is where the problem lies lol.

I am running LED's for the turn signals and brake light, but that part i can figure out on my own. The canceling unit which I tracked down using a schematic I found online is the little rectangular block mounted near the ignition coils (correct?) That's coming out.

I have been looking at the "simplified" schematics for my bike and im a bit confused about a few things.

1) All the "stock" schematics I can find show a diode block that is wired into the "rectifier/regulator". However that same diode block is not shown in any of the simplified diagrams that I found.

I have an automotive background as well as some industrial wiring background but I still have plenty to learn.

From what I know a rectifier is used to convert the AC voltage generated by the bikes alternator,to DC. After that the Regulator takes over, and does as its name implies. It regulates the voltage.

Now a rectifier is just a set of diodes. With that said, would I not then need to keep the diode block in my wiring, or does the finned box called a "rectifier/regulator" do it all? If thats the case then what does the diode block do?

Ill try to attach the schematics in question, but one of the "stock" schematics I actually got from here (is pretty and colorful :))

2. streetbrawler750

streetbrawler750 Member

I stripped all those diodes-(or whatever they are) and crap out. My bike has started and charged for thousands of miles afterward. The cancel unit for the turn signals is somehow triggered by the speedometer in the unit itself, and also by a tming gizmo I beleive. Don't know as much bout the blinkers, stripped them off aswell.

3. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

The diode block consists of diodes that belong to a bunch of different circuits.

If you'll PM me with your email address, I can send you scans from the factory book that will help with what you're trying to do without jeopardizing whatever functions you decide to preserve.

SOME of those diodes are quite necessary; some not so much.

And the thing you've (mis) identified as the cancelling unit ISN'T. The cancelling unit is an oblong, rubber-encapsulated relay mounted on/under the frame backbone tubes just above and slightly forward of the carbs. Don't hurt it; if it's good it's worth quite a bit of $$$.

Be careful yanking relays without knowing what's what; or you'll run afoul of what's left of the safety cutoff system.

4. streetbrawler750

streetbrawler750 Member

I guess I should say instead of stripping wiring and relay things off, I built the complete harness devoid of safety circuits, relays, etc.

5. mechanicalmadness

mechanicalmadness Member

Thats kind of the route im taking. The only things im keeping are the neutral switch and the clutch switch.