1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Need tires and I have some questions.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by ryancdossey, Feb 19, 2013.

1. ryancdossey

ryancdossey Member

So from what I've pulled offline the tires that maxim x came with were...

Front: Bridgestone 100/90-19 57H,
    Excedra G525:

Rear: 130/90-16 67H,
    Bridgestone Excedra G525

I called a shop who offered me tires good up to 100mph... I know my bike has seen over that a few times so I didn't like that idea plus it originally came with H class good up to 130.

They quoted me $401.00 for both front and rear h rated instead. Mounted balanced and put on the bike... That's a good deal more expensive than I was thinking.

I remember bigfitz saying that tires with a line that goes down the center and all around have a way of wanting to line up with water grooves would that be an issue here? The reviews are great and its a brand name. The front does but the rear does not.

Rear: http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/49/ ... re?ref=sho

Front: http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/49/ ... cycle-Tire

How do you guys have them balanced and put on the bike?

2. XJOE550

XJOE550 Active Member

I have Kenda Challengers on my bike. They are H rated 130 mph tire

Kenda Challenger - Front Tire

Kenda Challenger - Rear Tire

I have been happy with them and have heard good reviews from people that have had them. Seem to last too. Very good price at around $120.00 shipped for mine. But ended up costing me $80.00 to have them mounted locally.

3. ryancdossey

ryancdossey Member

I'm always nervous about brands I haven't heard of bit they did get decent reviews. Have you had the over 80 or so? Seem to grip well? A good deal of my riding is done on open empty 4 lane roads. My bike is actually rarely under 75. I just want something decent that I can be confident in.

4. XJOE550

XJOE550 Active Member

Well, I have been away from riding for awhile so my experience is void for the last 20 yrs. But I have had the bike on the road since April 2012. And have had it over 80 a few times on the freeway and country roads. No issues. Last ride, I went with a cafe riding club to the Ozello Trail swamp death road here in the west coast of Fl. Most of the bikes were modern Thruxton's and 2011 Ducati. My KZ was able to keep up for the most part. I didn't want to push it but could have with these tires I think. No problems. I relied on catching up on the straights. Besides, trying to muscle my 525+ lb KZ is like arm wrestling. Not a great ride for the twisties.

5. Maxim-X

Maxim-X Well-Known Member

I would suggest a good dual compound tire, for empty highway riding. The centre patch of the tread is harder for longer tire life but the sides are a softer compound for better cornering. As far as brand it's dealers choice really, I've heard good stories on cheap brands and horror stories on "Big Name" brands. The thing to remember is that a cheap or expensive tire is only as good as how confident you are.
    So a good cheap tire will serve you well if you don't try going balls to the wall, on the other hand a very good tire will not let you go balls to the wall if you have limited experience.
    All that being said I ran Michellins on mine twice, the first set were high mileage compound and worked well, I then went to a "Stickier" set and burned them out in less than 5000 miles. They were over $400.00 a set back in 2003. I would put Michellins on again in a second even if it was a hit to the wallet.

6. xHondaHack

xHondaHack Active Member Premium Member

I suppose the Bridgestone Spitfires are comparable to the Excedra's. You seem to understand that for a bike like the Maxim X (that will get well into triple digit speeds when ridden aggressively), tires, like your braking system, aren't something to skimp on.

I had a discussion a little while back with my Canadian friend, and here's his advise that centers around the topic of tires for the X:

When you get around to buying tires.... my preference are still the Metzeler Lasertecs. I've tried about 5 different types of tires on my X with the sole intention of discovering which is best. The Lasertecs are the best, with the Bridgestone Battlax BT45s second, and the Dunlop GT501's third. All are dual-compound V-rated, but the Lasertecs have a smoother profile, better wet weather handling, and more even wear between front and rear. They weren't the cheapest of the top 3 but they weren't the most expensive either. After having tried all the tires I intend to try (except maybe a set of Michelins that someone has recommended), my X's will likely be wearing Mezeler Lasertecs from now on.

I have personal experience with two other brands. A set of Dunlop 404's (H-rated) on my previous bike, which I felt were adequate for a mid-grade tire, with good ride qualities and no groove tracking. The other set are Kenda Challengers (H-rated) that I now have on the 750X (PO put them on). My thought is that the Kendas compound is too hard/stiff for cooler climates. Even though they wear well (like a stone), that's the reason they aren't very sticky. Needless to say, I would hesitate to recommend the Kenda's for any performance oriented machine. They will soon be getting replaced with a set of V-rated Lasertecs, as my friend with first hand experience recommended.

If you can stretch your budget a little, here's a couple of links for you:
    Front:
    http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/49/ ... cycle-Tire
    Rear:
    http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/50/ ... cycle-Tire

7. ryancdossey

ryancdossey Member

My bike is running rebuilt forks, mc, new ss brake lines, rebuilt calipers, and new pads. I'm doing my best to make this thing as safe as possible. As far as tires are concerned I dont mind dropping $400.00 at all. It was just more than I was expecting I saw guys on here talking about like 80$ tires and I've never had to replace them so I didn't know what to expect. I do tend to ride pretty hard into corners and like to get up to speed quickly. I have yet to top it out. I don't know that I will. I will go with your recommendation and the price isn't obscene by any means. I plan on taking a long road trip this summer and want to make sure she's in tip top shape. Thank you very much for your advice. I live in Missouri and I try to ride pretty much year round so there are times I do ride on wet roads so that is important as well. Plus I would feel safer doing 130 on tires rated for the 140's than 130 on tires rated for 130. I'm trying to get the local track to let me give it a go...

8. Foolber

Foolber Member

Dunlop. Nuff said.

Rule of thumb - hard compound last longer but doesn't get as much traction. Soft compound gets great traction but burns up quickly. Medium compound is obviously right in-between, gets ok traction and tire life. Check out dunlops website, they can give you the specifics of each tire. I run dunlops on my street and dirtbikes.

As for mount and ballence that depends were you live what shop you go to and gennerally how Much business you bring them (I live in a small town). I always take my wheel off and bring just that in. Less labor costs. :)

9. quebecois59

quebecois59 Well-Known Member

I loved the GT501 I had on the front wheel of my X: good grip, good stability, felt safe.

10. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

conti-go's, great tires.

11. xHondaHack

The Kenda Challengers are in that price range, and I'm not comfortable running triple digits with them. You get what you pay for.

Setting the X up with V-rated tires will keep it within it's capabilities, even though they command a higher price.

And lastly, I'm all for getting on a track to really be able to find out what these will really do. Maybe one of these days.....

Tony

12. Maxim-X

Hey Tony
    I must have had a brain fart, the Metzlers were the ones I meant. The long distance were called Marathons and the stickies were Lasertecs. :roll:

Sorry about the brand mix up Ryan. :oops: :oops:

13. xHondaHack

You're forgiven, as I do notice that your signature does state that you're "Old".

Problem is, I don't think I'm that far behind you.

Tony

14. ryancdossey

ryancdossey Member

Well shoot that makes my decision even easier two guys whose opinions I respect voting for the same thing. I don't do triple digits very often but I like being able to. I'm going with the "stickier" ones.

15. Maxim-X

Hey Ryan, look for "Track Days" at bike shops or local clubs in your area. If there are any available see how much they are and check out how well they are run. They have several in my area, but some are better run than others, beginner, intermediate, fast, hot shoe, bike checks, safety equipment, medical on site, etc. Also see if they offer a "Mentor" for the track. I have seen TOO often guys (not saying it's you) that are fast in a straight line only to find they freeze in a fast corner with co$tly and sometimes tragic results. If a "Mentor" is available they will show new comers the correct line through corners as well as tips on proper braking etc. If that's not available ask at the track to see if any of the organizers are willing "show you around" it makes their event safer and put $$$$ in their pockets.
    Also, any track I've raced on requires the removal of coolant from the bike and replace it with with stuff that I know as "Water Wetter", it keeps the bike cool but it's not slippery if it gets spilled at the track.
    When all is said and done, "know your limit and ride within it" yeh it's a cliche' but it has merit.
    Have fun and stay safe!

16. Massimo33

Massimo33 Member

I just switched from Kenda Challengers to Metzler M880s, the difference is tremendous, better grip and feel, smoother cruising, and just better all around performance.

Massimo

17. ryancdossey

ryancdossey Member

Okay so The Metzler's are around 275 shipped. Not terrible. Local shops are quoting me either $85 to take them off the bike and do it or $40.00 if i bring them in for mount and balance. Someone offered to "static" balance them for $20.00 and mount for free (old friend). If my bike will see into triple digits is static balance okay? I always thought they did it on a computer not just sort of free hand?

18. MercuryMan

MercuryMan Active Member

Balanced is balanced, but it's a matter of the mech doing the job that makes a difference. I'm surprised you couldn't find a dealership to mount and balance for $30, that's the rate in NWA. Metzler's are VERY good tires, you can't go wrong with them. Be sure and keep an eye on your pressure so you don't prematurely wear them out, they are sticky so low pressure will kill them quick.

Hallett raceway offers track time. They are just west of Tulsa, OK which is a good drive for you, maybe six hours, but an option anyway. Pretty much need ATGATT and there is a small fee, but it's more fun than most things that cost as much. The 550 was loving it past red.

http://www.hallettracing.net/

Check out the MLD link bottom right. It's a great road-race track, some nice switchbacks, sweeping turns, elevation change and very well maintained. Plus if you wipe out there are no immovable objects in your path! Medics are always on hand, just in case.

19. ryancdossey

ryancdossey Member

Thank you. I will take a look into that track. Im actually planning a trip to Tulsa to visit a friend so it may not be a bad idea to do it while down there.

20. biggs500

biggs500 Active Member

Four hundred bucks seems a bit high to me, even installed on the bike. For my D404's I paid just over $200 for mounting and balancing.