1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

new guy with an XS400

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by future9er24, May 28, 2008.

1. future9er24

future9er24 Member

Hey all,

I just purchased my first bike last night for $50. Not alot of paperwork, but I didn't expect much for $50 ;)

It also doesn't run yet. The previous owner said it wont spark (but does crank) and said it was most likely the ignitor. I think it might also be the coil, but I'll leave that to you experts ;) The bike is also being stored at my friends house until i make some room down here at mine, so i cant always go out and get pics or details on a whim. *sigh*

I was wondering if anyone could tell me more about my bike? Its "supposed" to be a 1982 XS400, but I did some minute research and I'm hearing about "specials" and "maxims" and all that good stuff. I'm not sure about what my bike is or what specs it has. I looked at some maxims, and mine looks like one but I'm not entirely sure. I searched around this forum for "XS400" and it seems some of you guys have had em and like em. Any insight on these bikes would be much appreciated. Like I said, this is my first bike and I have a LOT to learn

The Frame # is 12R-01XXXX

If the last four digits are needed for deciphering, let me know and I'll add them.

Heres a few pics of the bike too, sorry they're from my phone
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advance for any help :)

2. ZaGhost

ZaGhost Member

Hi...
    Fellow XS owner.. That is a Maxim.... closer to the XJ's than the other XS's...
    The Monoshock under the seat gives it away.

They are a tough and great riding bike...
    Click on the www button by my sig to see my rebuild page...
    I have a manual if you have any questions as well :)

Looks like you have some work ahead of you, but a lot of parts are common and interchangeable,

3. MrShake

MrShake Member

+1 on a maxim. the tank shape and lack of front frame bar give it away.

Looks like its been choped on though. Rear turn signal is in an odd place, your brake light appears to be mounted to the subfender, not the stock plastic fender. Fun bike though!!

On a side note... I'll buy the "crash bar" from you. I've been looking for one.

4. dwcopple

dwcopple Active Member

Yep, XS400J maxim. I've got two of 'em. and lots of parts for sale too. I got blinkers if ya need 'em. PM me.

5. dwcopple

dwcopple Active Member

oh and check the boots that go on the plugs...mine were crap...get new ones at Advance Auto or similar...much cheaper than MC shops.

6. Madone1

Madone1 Member

Yep, thats an XS400 and you have come to the right place! 'Ghost and 'Shake are a wealth of knowledge. Good luck and savor the journey!

7. MrShake

MrShake Member

I've never been called a "wealth of knowledge" before... thanks!

8. future9er24

future9er24 Member

Thanks guys for the tips and the welcomes!

Ghost, your page was one of the things that I saw when I was searching around for XS400 info in general.

As for those turn signals, they aren't mounted where they seem to be, they're kinda just dangling by the wire :D and the real brake light is in fact on the plastic fender, its just that when these pics were taken the stock fender was still in the truck

In the coming months I want to make this into a Bobber style bike so I'll be sure to let you know what stock parts are comin off. You guys can have first dibs on anything I take off, the rest goes to ebay

Shake, I'll let you know about the crash bars. The bike is at a friends ouse for storage until I clean out my garage. I'll take a look at it and decide if I like the crash bars enough to keep them or not. If they go, you're first in line :)

9. MrShake

MrShake Member

Awesome!! I keep missing auctions for them on ebay, and they arn't the same as the crash bars for the non-maxim xs400.

Let us know if you have any questions at all... I even have some spare parts laying around, so let me know!

10. ZaGhost

ZaGhost Member

Only parts I need ... clutch lever (mine got snapped in a black ice encounter at the end of last year) and a chain guard..... (maybe a master cylinder...depends on how the brake overhaul goes) :)

Will be ordering a new lever, grips and SS brake line from mikesxs (as soon as the brake lines are back in stock)

And Shake... I've never been called a wealth of information before either :)... a wealth of useless facts..yes..... heh

11. future9er24

future9er24 Member

Today was teardown day... kinda. Took off everything I didn't want lol.

Only problem I ran across was with the gas tank. From the start it sounded like there was sand in it. It also was locked, and the bike came with no keys. I used the prying end of a hammer and got it off, but i can't get all the crap from the inside of the tank out. The tank is a bit dented up anyways, I'm debating just getting a replacement unless anyone knows of a dirt cheap way to clean it out. In case I didn't make it apparent when i said "$50 bike" I'm building this bike on the ubercheap lol. I've sunk most of my cash into cars already, so this needs to be done affordably

Shake, PM me about the crash bars. I don't really know what they're worth but make me a reasonable offer and there all yours mate

Heres pics of the stuff

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. flash1259

flash1259 Member

I too recieved a xs400j that needed help.

firest check all your connections from ignition to coils, get a new battery as well.

there are 2 relays under the seat they are mounted under the cross bar on rubbermounts. you will have to check them they shouold have at least 100 Ohms, These are the side stand relay and the starter circuit cutoff relay

also there is a diode in line under the seat check that as well to see if its good I replaced all 3 and got spark.

clean the carbs and tank too! you will not be disapointed

13. ZaGhost

ZaGhost Member

I did a cheapy method.....
    Throw in a handfull of nuts and shake it like crazy...loosen up all the crap...
    Rinse it with water (remove cap and petcock of course)
    plug the petcock hole... and use a dilute phosphoric acid solution and let it sit for severl hours to overnight (depending on how much rust and how dilute a solution) ..... when you think it looks good, drain, flush with water, rinse with alcholol and either 1) fill tank (hard to do if it's going to be sitting for a bit) or 2) add some gass and 2 stroke oil to the takn and shake to cover the inside..... just keep shaking it to preven and rust from forming.

14. MrShake

MrShake Member

Muriatic Acid is supposed to be good to clean fuel as well.

I can vouch for the handfull of nuts trick... been there, done that!!

15. future9er24

future9er24 Member

Thanks for the info guys. I'll take a look at the underseat bits next chance I get.

now regarding the tank... when you drop a few nuts in there, how on earth do you get them out? I was taking the gas cap off, and since I had no key i just pried it off, and a small part fell in before i could even see what it was. I've been shaking the thing around trying to get it out and have had no luck yet lol

The chemical bits all sound great, I'm just wondering how on earth to get these things out of there

also, my fuse box is pure garbage, the contact points are falling right off. I ordered a more modern one to replace it. I saw it in another thread here
    http://wirewerksperformance.com/index.p ... 87ee7829ba

16. Madone1

Madone1 Member

Hey 'Ghost, quick question for you. I noticed on your build page you now have your fairing installed. How do you like it? How is the wind protection? I'm thinking of getting a National Cycle Deflector DX for my bike. Any thoughts on how they might look on the XS400?

17. MrShake

MrShake Member

To get the nuts out:

Hold the tank with its back end down and shake to get the nuts to the bottom. Then roll the tank so the top/filler hole is down and shake the nuts over to the hole and out they come.

18. ZaGhost

ZaGhost Member

Mad .. pm replied ...

Fusebox...weatherproof inlines also work well...

Muriatric Acid (aka Hydrochloric, works fast, and will flash rust.... Phosphoric leaves a film of zinc oxide...less/slower flash rusting)

As fro the nuts...1 trick I read later (I used some gravel ....PITA!!!!)
    tie the nuts to a string in a big line...then you can fish it out.,...

19. future9er24

future9er24 Member

String sounds like a beautiful idea!

I've got another question regarding the frames of these bikes. How similar are they to the XS650s? I was surfing around and saw a slick XS650 hardtail conversion, the whole back end that you just weld on. I thought it'd be cool to use it on my bike, but I don't know how compatible they are. There are also universal kits I saw, but this would make it alot simpler

http://www.tcbroschoppers.com/id22.html

Yet another question is how many gears are in the gearbox? lol, i know it sounds dumb, but I havent ridden it yet, and I could only go as far as 4. I read in some palces online it was 5 or even 6 and I thought i might not be able to engage higher gears just because its not moving.

Thanks again guys! You're all way more helpful than google

20. ZaGhost

ZaGhost Member

Gears... there are 5 on the Maxim, and 6 on the Seca ...
    pattern is 1-N-2-3-4-5

As for 650 compatablilty, we do share some with it, but the rear end is different... yhe 650 is dual external shock, we have the underseat monoshock... different swingarm assembly as well.... If you plan to redo the whole thing though..it may work.......

Remeber.,.if you plan to do any welding on the frame..remove the TDI and rectifier.... pricey to replace... can damage easily