1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New here but been here awhile....need advice on Seca Turbo

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Garri-Fab, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Garri-Fab

Garri-Fab New Member

Seattle, WA on a ZX636 and soon to be Seca Bobber
    Hey Xj community!

Ive been a member here for a little bit and spend a lot of time researching here bc of all the knowledgable people on here.

My concern is,

I have aquired a 82' Seca Turbo and it has been chopped to peices ( not literally)

but bobbed out and made to look like a Maxim.

I have been planning to go the bobber route bc I have a Maxim tank already sitting on the backbone.

Also possibly going the N/A route. In part of why is bc the turbo has to be rebuilt and also the studs that fasten the turbo to the manifold has rusted and broken off.

I still have alot of turbo accessories that came with the bike and I'm

debating of wether or not to sell my un-needed parts?

If anyone is interested or has any suggestions, please let me know asap so I can get on with hoarding some new parts for my build for the spring.

PM me if anything and yes I do have paypal.

Thanks everyone for reading and responding.

Garri-Fab Garage :eek:

2. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

Every major city has a Turbo shop that has the rebuild parts for this - same as the Dodge Colt/Mitsubishi turbo bearings and seals.

And there's a member who wants the handlebar inlay emblem right now.
    Look in "buy/sell"

I think it would be awesome to ride a small, mild mannered Maxim 650 looking bike with a 90 HORSEPOWER Turbo motor. A sleeper !!
    But if you run the Turbo motor without the Turbo, you get about the performance of an old 500.

3. Garri-Fab

Garri-Fab New Member

Damn, it's that sluggish?

Correct me if I'm wrong, I thought that the Maxim and Seca 650s had the same internals?

Only the main jets and oil pump were different to compensate for the boost.......I dont know. I could be wrong.

I've just been sooooo frustrated with this entire build and funds being cut short, I dont really feel interested in finishing this project anymore.

To tell you the truth.

I cant really sell the bike itself bc it was given to me for free but it's also taking up a lot of valuable space in my garage.

What would you guys/gals do in my position?

4. Garri-Fab

Garri-Fab New Member

I dont have the fairings or original bar emblems. Let alone anything plastic on the bike.

But I do have the entire turbo system, vaccum lines and the original carbs that had the bigger main jets.

Oh and my quest to finish this build just got more hindering!

I just found some chunks of rust floating in my tank and it looks even worse on the inside walls.

This sucks man!

5. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

I hate to tell you but the turbo had the following major differences between it and the standard 650....smaller (pressurized) carbs, smaller duel wall exhaust headers, stronger head with lower compression. Stronger bottom end. A second oil pump dedicated to the turbo and several less important differences. Depending on what you were/are planning on doing with it, cleaning a gas tank by electroylis is a piece of cake, not having the fairings is another matter, again, depending on your goals.

On the upside, the turbo is generally worth some bucks as is the seat, mirrors etc.

Sometimes, you just need to step back and only focus on one small part of the project to avoid becomming overwhelmed. You sound like you might be at that point. I hope that you decide to get it running as you are def gain a lot of experience and knowledge but different strokes and this might not be your cup of tea.

Good luck,
    jeff

6. Garri-Fab

Garri-Fab New Member

Thanks J ! You really hit it on the nail there, and Yes I am very frustrated with this build.

Well, I guess I'll have to find a Maxim to work on.
    That is if I find one cheap.

This Seca is not even close to being restored and I would rather have a naturally aspirated ride then boosted.

I will just have to put this project on the backburner for several more years and just stick to my 636 for now.

7. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

"just stick to my 636 for now"

What is that? A standard engine?

As a matter of personal opinion, I'm a 2 stroke guy....always have been even though I've owned several nice four strokes. 4 strokes are boringly linear where my 2 strokes come on with a nice, big hit! When I bought my turbo I planned on making it nice and selling it like so many other bikes I've done....but a funny thing happened on the way to getting it ready for sale....I started with an overweight pig of a bike that made little power for it's weight. 18 pounds of boost later I fell in love with my Turbopig for the shot out of a cannon performance it gives me everytime I twist the tail!

I don't ride it on 1200 miles trips like my Vstrom but for blasting up and down the road for a after-work ride it's perfect....and effective!!

jeff

8. Garri-Fab

Garri-Fab New Member

The 636 I am refering to is my Kawi ZX636.

You are correct about the engine part, but they also came in 599cc (ZX6RR) to conform to AMA regulations.

I dont know for sure if I want to keep the engine, I might even get rid of it!

I would rather have the Maxim engine now, from doing some research.

You never now, if I do get a good offer on my Seca Turbo engine, I just might sell it.

9. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

I'm afraid that you won't, even if you list it on ebay but you might get lucky. There were only around 7k ever produced and estimates are there are less then 1000 left running or nearly running today. The strange part is that they've never gained in "collectability".a friend of mine up North recently sold his perfect, I mean PERFECT turbo and it barely broke $2K.....I can get that for a busted up, non-running H1. You might get between 150-250 for the turbo and be able to get some money for the parts but together, it's not going to do well but I really hope I'm wrong.

good luck with it
    jeff