1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New here, just picked up an 83 XJ650.

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by HurtCow, Sep 14, 2010.

1. HurtCow

HurtCow New Member

Hi! Just got me an 83 JX650 a few weeks ago. It's got 37k miles, and I have plans to eventually tear it down and repaint/polish/make pretty. Got it started for the first time on Sunday after tweaking and adjusting a few things.

[​IMG]

The seat was originally a really ugly beige that the previous owner (kid) proudly told me he did himself. A can of black fabric paint took care of that till I can get a new cover.

With proper maintenance, how many miles are these engines typically good for? A local guy that has his own bike wrecking yard said 37k is about all it's going to give me and that just doesn't sound right.

And oh yeah, also got an 82 XJ550 w/ 22k off CL for $250 that I'm headed to pick up tonight. It looks like it's almost all there. Pics later.

I'm glad I found this place. It's already answered many questions I had. Yay web forums.

2. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

Welcome to the site! Some people on this site claim to have 70,000 or more miles on their XJ's. These bikes are tough as long as you take care of them.

3. WinstonC

WinstonC Member

4. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

Nice 650. If you are looking for a nice seat cover Saddleman makes a nice touring seat cover. You'll have sticker shock but if you spend alot of time on the bike your back side will thank you.
    Check your rear brake shoes for de-lamination, Change your fork oil and look at your plugs to make sure your not running lean.

Good Luck wih your project
    MN

5. HurtCow

HurtCow New Member

Thanks guys. Don't have a ton of spare time to tinker so this will be a drawn-out project. But I look forward to eventually getting this thing all new-looking again. I'll be here whining for help regularly I'm sure.

6. SgtHollywood

SgtHollywood Member

Curious, you aren't the same HurtCow from M Carter Brown are you?

7. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Most of the XJ-Bike Maxim Series Seats are pitiful for riding.
    Every time you grab the Brakes, ... you're launched forward onto the tank.

A "THE EDGE 2001 Ginsu Knife" and a Angle Grinder will help you sculpt a MUCH more comfortable riding position.

My Max w/ Re-worked Seat from Stock:
    [​IMG]

8. quikcobra

quikcobra Member

Nice start.

And on the seat, Have you checked with a custom seat. Im sure anyone who does automotive interiors could get you going.