1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New here wanted to say Hi and show you my new to me bike.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by 85MaximXX, May 20, 2008.

1. 85MaximXX

85MaximXX Member

Hey all I just picked up a 85' maxim x a couple weeks ago and stumbled onto this site looking for info on the bike. I think I got a decent deal I paid 900.00 for it. The guy gave me a new throttle cable(he thought it was a clutch cable but upon inspection it isn't) THe yamaha service manual, fresh oil to put in it and a new oil filter. He even had a copy of the title from he bought it from the original owner. IT had 23k on it I brung her home and put on new tires, disassembled the carbs and cleaned, found dog food in the mufflers, and airbox( I was told he had stored it in a barn). I added the saddle bags and relocated the rear turn signals. I will read through the faq section as well but is there any issues I should check out immediatly before riding out for a weekend trip or such?

Attached Files:

2. sim37

sim37 Member

Looks in great condition, at least on the outside. Looks like you got a good find.

3. willierides

willierides Member

Re: New here wanted to say Hi and show you my new to me bike

Very nice looking bike.

The dog food must have been a mouse's stash. Dang rodents will get into the dangdest places!

4. 85MaximXX

85MaximXX Member

It was absolutely filthy and could still stand a few more hours of cleaning and polishing and possibly some touch up paint on the motor. Even when I changed the oil it wasn't too dirty and has remained a clean color over the 3-400 miles I have put on it. I do have a question is it normal for the idle to take off when the choke(enrichment circuit is on) I just keep bumoing it closed a little until she's warmed up then all seems well.

5. MaximumX

MaximumX Member

Those are interesting little turndowns on the mufflers. Did you add those yourself to direct heat away from your saddlebags or were they already on there? Do you have a closer-up picture of them? J

Ps. Very nice looking bike. :wink:

6. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Beautiful bike, love that color............

7. cole9900

cole9900 Member

That may not actually have been dog food - just something that LOOKED like dog food.

Very nice bike, and yes, they are cold natured beasts. They will idle up very high with the choke on - just keep dropping it down - it will eventually idle just fine. You might even have to start riding with it on a bit, but as soon as it's warm. she'll be great.

8. Desinger_Mike

Desinger_Mike Member

Nice bike and great deal!
    That's what color my first one was (back in...'91)
    I wish I could have gotten the tank emblems in that color..hint hint Len :)
    I'm waiting for a trunk to install this weekend.

9. jafrance

jafrance Member

900 bucks?? My 81 550 cost me 1k and Im still having problmes with it!!! DRAT!!

10. 85MaximXX

85MaximXX Member

I will take some closer ones, I had them added at a welding/fab shop they are stainless I haven't polished them yet but they won't rust. Yes my concern was the heat on the leather for long rides.

thx, for the nice comments guys.

11. mcrwt644

mcrwt644 Member

nice looking bike. My one maxim x won't start in the winter without a shot of carb cleaner in the airbox and even down around 50 degrees f is a cranky old girl. She won't take choke either, but I think that will be rectified when I colorrune her because I can smell she is rich at 2.5 turns

My other x will start on choke, but is still cold natured. My father's x (I built that bike from boxes out of someone's cellar) is also just as cold natured. This is my third x and they are all like that. Now my xj700n will fire up no problem down to 25 degrees. I don't know why that one isn't as nasty as my x's.

12. 85MaximXX

85MaximXX Member

mine starts well even down in the low 40's I don't think I have started in colder conditions than that as it wouldn't be ideal to ride it. But there have been a few cold mornings with no problems.

13. wizard

wizard Active Member

rear brake arm looks a bit far forward, have you checked the shoes?
    nice looking ride!

14. 85MaximXX

85MaximXX Member

yup they are not yet to the wear limit but are getting there. They are on the list to get replaced more than likely within a couple weeks. I am suprised nobody noticed the left side passenger grab bar isn't on there either I have to go pickup some bolts and get that back on as well.