1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New member in illinois

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by ian1320, Aug 14, 2009.

1. ian1320

ian1320 New Member

Hey all, figured this was the place to introduce myself. I just picked up an 82 xj1100 and im working through her. She is a big upgrade from my little kawasaki 454LTD. I am fairly new to working on motorcycles so im sure i will have tons of questions for the experts here.

Thanks in advance for the help
    Ian

2. xjdaver

xjdaver Member

Hey Ian. I just joined recently myself and picked up some useful info already. What part of the state are you in?

3. Wyldman

Wyldman Member

Welcome to the forum. :)

4. XJ700VET

XJ700VET Member

Welcome Ian, hope that you stick around. There's a ton of stuff to learn here, lots of great folks that are willing to share their time helping you through any problem that you might have. Our resident parts guru is a huge source for your parts needs, if chacal doesn't have it, he'll help you find it! He ships out of Atlanta & ships super fast!! I get parts in 2-3 days cross country to Portland.

Cheers
    Ken

5. ian1320

ian1320 New Member

im near kankakee, about 45 mins south of chicago.

i know this is fast but i already have an issue with the bike, it drips oil out of the airbox. I read on this site that this usually means on overfull crankcase. My question is do i need to drain some oil or will the problem correct itself?

It scared the hell out of me today when the carbs sucked up a bit of the oil from the box and a smokescreen appeared behind me. I thought i broke a valve!

6. xj650ss

xj650ss Member

Welcome to the site Ian
    Shaun

7. Captainkirk

Captainkirk Member

Welcome to the site, ask away with the questions. I'm 40 minutes north of Chicago.

8. xjdaver

xjdaver Member

I've never had that problem with oil in the airbox. I would assume someone here has an answer for you.

9. Fode140

Fode140 Member

Welcome to the forum Ian! This is the place to be for any XJer, you're in good hands with the huge wealth of knowledge that all of the members here have. You say you're in Kankakee, I'm also in Illinois, in the northwest burbs of Chicago up in Wauconda. XJDAVER, where are you in Illinois?

10. xjdaver

xjdaver Member

Not too far from you, Hoffman estates.

11. Fode140

Fode140 Member

No kidding XJDAVER! I drive down route 59 EVERY DAY to and from work through Hoffman Estates, live in Wauconda, work in Bartlett. If you noticed in my signature block my bike is not quite in running order right now (more like all of the pieces taking up my whole garage!) but when (probably quite some time) I get my bike back on the road, I can join you and the other Illinois XJers for a ride! CaptainKirk, I didn't realize you're in the northern burbs as well! Nice to know there's more XJers close around.
    Ian, I am not too sure about your oil problem. Seeing that it was just a sudden burst of smokescreen and it doesn't consistently burn oil, the crankcase may very well be overfilled. Someone with more experience with a problem like this should chime in, but I would think the best thing to do would be to drain out the excess and top off accordingly to get to the proper level.

12. Captainkirk

Captainkirk Member

CaptainKirk, I didn't realize you're in the northern burbs as well! Nice to know there's more XJers close around.

Waukegan. Not far from you at all.

13. ian1320

ian1320 New Member

Im about 45 mins south of Chicago. I know exactly where you are though because i have family up there. Snelton Well and Pump is the business they own. Its a beautiful area to ride, the lake is amazing.

14. ItsMikey

ItsMikey Member

Hi, Ian. Welcome to the site. Oil in the airbox could very well mean that the oil is overfilled. Put your bike on the center stand, if you still have one, and check the oil level. You should see a small air bubble in the sightglass window on the right side of the motor. Hold the bike vertical and have someone help you look at the oil level if you do not have the centerstand. My 1100 has a 4 into one exhaust, and the centerstand has been removed, so that is how I need to check mine.

If the oil IS overfilled , the question is WHY? The prime suspect would be gas in the oil. This increases oil volume and dilutes itl. You do not want to run the machine this way. Check to see if the oil smells of gas. If it does, look at the needle and seats in the carbs, as well as the "octopus" in the fuel system for leaking, as the culprets.

Of course, it is possible that the oil has just been overfilled. That would just require draining off the excess. I would probably drain all of it out, change the filter, and refill with fresh oil. Start fresh, if you will.

Good luck. Mike

15. ian1320

ian1320 New Member

Thanks mike,

One of the first things i checked was gas in the oil and there isnt any evidence of it. Im planning an oil and filter change this weekend just to be safe. Just so i dont make the same mistake as the PO, what is the oil capacity of the crankcase?

16. ItsMikey

ItsMikey Member

It's stamped on the aluminun case to the left of the oil fill cap. 3000 CM3. That's 3000 CCs, or 3 liters. Changing the filter may require a little more. I put in 3 quarts, run the motor a bit, the check the level on the centerstand with the motor off. Add more as needed. Leave a small air bubble at the top of the sight glass. If you check it with the motor running, it will look low and you'll overfill it. I found the oil filters at Advance auto parts stores, if you have any of those around. CH6002, if I remember correctly. Mike

17. ian1320

ian1320 New Member

Thanks for the help mike