1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New member to XJ Bikes and Owning an XJ.

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by GrimmRider, Feb 26, 2008.

1. GrimmRider

GrimmRider New Member

Hello everyone, my name is Ben and I just came into a little money and finally had the chance to move up from my '77 XS650D and get a bigger bike. I loved the reliablility of yamaha, my XS was a basket case and after the resto, it gave me more problems than any other bike I have owned thus far.

I know of Yamaha reliability from my first bike, a '72 DT Enduro 250, that thing would start and idle fine, first kick, no choke, it was a dream of a bike, but the age made it nearly impossible to find parts for and that 2 stroker was buzzy on the street at highway speed.

I was in the market for a new (to me) bike and wanted a 4 cylinder twin cam engine that developed around 60-80hp out of the box and needed little to keep me pleased every time I thumbed the starter. The XJ750 was perfect. I found a few seca's and liked them and all, but I needed to think about the type of rider I am. Race Replica's are out of my skill level.

Being 23 I have a bunch of friends that have little to no skill and ride 150+hp liter bikes. I have ridden fuel injected CBR600's and R1's but I gotta tell ya'. There is nothing that compares to the character of the 80's bikes! I have a '97 Bandit 1200S (I barely ride the damn thing), there is nothing special about them, they are just ungodly fast, track ready machines. No street manners about them.

My XJ has a few issues and I am sure the community here can help, as it said when I was on the home page, the site is a central area of knowledge of the XJ's. If it gets any better than that I want to know! :D

I'll try to include a picture of my XJ in its current hot rod form. I added flat bars, moved the pegs as far back as possible on the adjuster's, fitted a single exit exhast system, and removed the sissy bar from the back for that sleeker look. Hope it doesn't offent too many purists that I assaulted a very clean example of a XJ750 Maxim.

I look forward to improving my XJ experience!

Ben

Grimm Rider- nothing to do with any hot shot's that made video's of themselfs riding through heavy traffic at high speed, its due to my "grim" outlook on other riders that just jump on 600cc+ bikes for a first bike.

Attached Files:

2. Gamuru

Gamuru Guest

Welcome to the site!